1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing on christmas

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ajslands, Dec 16, 2009.

1. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

so detroit is suppose to get snow christmas eve and christmas day, so how much extra should i get? and iam guessing most banks and toys r us dont open on christmas day so is it ok to open presnts from santa (new mowrr maybe) :) and then plow???
  2. awddsm1

awddsm1 Senior Member

I noticed we've got some in the forcast for Christmas eve/day too. It's a long way off for them to make anything more than a guess at the weather that far off, but if it comes down to it I might make an early morning run to hit some more important places, then head home for the kids. Finish up after lunch maybe? Depends a lot on how much and when too.
  3. tinffx

tinffx Member

As a sub I would hope to see a Christmas bonus. I wouldn't charge an account extra though.
  4. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

99 Percent of commercial accounts will not say a word about servicing later than normal on chistmass, most are closed anyway as you said.
  5. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

my accounts are all priced but ya i also sub.
  6. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

:drinkup: hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  7. overtime

overtime Senior Member

I have 2 sets of condos. So I guess no time fof family for me. Last year they where callin me to get snow off so there family could park. But hey its the territory like said above. I don't charge any extra but I do pay my guys a bit more.
  8. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

most are closed, so u can do your christmas and head out, we let them know ahead of time that we will be charging plow and a half, has only happened 2x and never had a complaint. Most will just say get to it when u get to it as long as clear for the day after we dont care. Some will ask to clear fire and exits???but most dont really care, they are dreming about thier gifts!!
  9. Enthalpy

Enthalpy Junior Member

I am working Christmas and will get stat pay + time 1/2 for the whole day with double time after 8 and quad time after 12.

Hello sixteen hour day.
  10. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

11. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

The company I work for doesnt pay anything extra and also doesnt charge extra. Most place we are able to do later on, but having hospitals on our account list doesn't allow for that. Most of the time we will rotate people through there so everybody gets time at home while still keeping the hospitals serviced.
  12. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Same goes here. Selective plowings and saltings would need to take place, so I can get selective on who will actually do the work. I don't want to ruin Christmas for those with small children or big plans, so I will offer the work to empty nesters, single people with no real plans, etc.

Everyone realizes what they signed up for (or at least should)....it's not like we get to pick and choose when or how often we work.
  13. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Exactly, no extra billing or pay, its part of the job.
  14. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

My kids hope it snows on Christmas so they can go plowing with me.As though they don't go enough as it is!
  15. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Its the nature of the business. Like someone said before, its a long way out for them to predict a solid forecast (if there is such a thing). The only ones I need to keep open is a State facility and the rest can wait til late morning. It also depends on how much snow there is I guess. :drinkup:
  16. fireside

fireside Senior Member

We will be out plowing if needed. I have an assit living center and a TGI fridays both are open on christmas. After presents my snow monsters (ages 2,4 and 6) are always ready to plow
  17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

My contracts state there is a 30% surcharge for services Christmas day and the customer has to initial it. I have never heard a complaint. But then we've never had to plow on Christmas day.:D
  18. Randy Scott

Randy Scott Senior Member

Plowing? In-laws in house?Plowing? In-laws in house? Plowing? In-laws in house?

I'd fricken" plow for free on christmas day!!!!!!!!!!!!
  19. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

We dont get anything extra. I dont ever recall having to plow on christmas? We have however, plowed on many a new years eve and a couple thanksgivings. It loves to snow on NYE in new england?
  20. danm yankee

danm yankee Junior Member

I hope it doesnt snow on christmas day,but if it does i will be out plowing.All my accounts are seasonal and my contract doesnt include any additional billing/charges for plowing on christmas,new years etc.Gotta do what ya gotta do.