1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Nightmares!! Got to See it to believe it!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by G.Landscape, Jan 7, 2012.

1. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

So being fairly new to plowing myself I have started to notice more now when I look at properties how poorly they were thought out when it comes to maintenance.

This Thread is based on one I found on LS and thought would be good to see some plowing nightmares.

Here is one to get the ball rolling.

2. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

WOW. Screw that haha
  3. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I have a place like that... Actually not very hard at all with a snowwing or backblade
  4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

NICE!!! That's unique design for sure. You win!!
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  5. G.Landscape

from Ontario

Not everyone has such "High Tech" equipment....hahaha

I meant to take a picture of the Tim's lots beside the doolies, pretty sure there is a curb that just looks like its sitting in the middle of the parking lot, kinda beside the drive through.
  6. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

and that is why i only do municipal roads.

i tried doing the parking lot thing last year after brickman begged .

never again
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  7. G.Landscape

from Ontario

Your Telling me municipal roads aren't F#$% up sometimes?? I bet you could come up with some good pics...
  8. c web

c web Junior Member

Whats that white stuff on the ground in some of those pics?

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

That's why you have a shoveler sitting in the truck! :salute:
  10. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I prefer they be out shoveling, they cost too much money just sitting in the truck... ;)

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

Yeah, x2 on that! The first two hours of my route the one guy just sits in the truck on his phone and sleeps sometimes :sleeping:. I tell him that he gets paid to much and he wakes right up!
  12. G.Landscape

from Ontario

ok, guys.....any pics to keep this on topic??
  13. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

This is one of my nightmare lots. It's empty in the first pic because of christmas break. But this is a apartment complex for college kids. Parking on both sides and there is usually no empty parking spots. This is the bottom half there is a top side just to the left that is the same size, just at a slant sideways. So snow falls off the plow towards the cars. Makes it very tricky to get all the snow to one end. Cause the other end is nothing but cars as well. And these two spots are only half of the parking at this place.

Got a skid steer just for this place this year so hoping it will be easier. But no snow yet

And yes, we even have to do the sidewalks. Takes 3 man hours just to do them :( Dam steps arent enclosed, so 3 flights up 3 flights down on 5 buildings each with 2 sets.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  14. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

I bet who ever designed that didnt think of the extra man hours and PIA involved for the concrete guys, asphalt guys, those who have to trim and mow around that weekly and of course the wear and tear pushing into each and every one of those instead of just running down the edge and calling it good.
  15. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

Oh but the architects know better. I dont think maintenance comes into their equation. As long as you dont get fooled in this biz.. So big lots are quicker to do than the smaller ones. And the small stuff should be billed accordingly
  16. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I don't have any nightmare lots, but I have a few headaches, primarily due to vehicles being parked in the way. The apartments of course are never empty, and the cars are always staggered, so you can never really clean it out well unless management decides to make the residents move their cars. Also have a medical equipment supplier, lot is packed with cars during the day, and a couple dozen delivery trucks in the lot over night, so just like the apartments, you're never dealing with an empty lot. I have a couple with silly curb designs and islands that result in a lot longer plowing times than they should be, but none as bad as the first pic. None of it's worth complaining about though, if they're a pain, they get a higher price. payup
  17. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

I was asked to bid on a retirement complex. I drove over, looked at it, called them back and said "No thanks!" The lot would have taken less than 25 mins to clear. The problem was they wanted all the snow removed from in between the cars. Over 60% of the cars were parked that close that even a small blower wouldn't fit in between them. Since all the occupants were retired, none of them left when it snowed and they were wedged in like sardines.

The last guy that had it said after you were done cleaning it out, all the residents would come out and clean off their cars and just drop the snow on the ground in between the cars, making it look like you never even cleaned it. Management would call him and complain, "You need to come back and finish the job, as there is snow left between most of the cars!". He would then explain what happened. Since he didn't have anything in the contract about this, they refused to pay if he didn't redo the lot!

He ended up having to clean off all the cars FIRST, then in between for the entire season. Rather than trying to write up something to CYA, I just walked............
  18. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

sorry, but nope.
    all straight roads with an occasional dead end. once in a while there is a car parked at the curb instead of in the driveway to go around.

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

I would of just walked also, there's no way I would of done that. I have a few nightmare lots myself, I'll toss on a few photos this week. wesport
  20. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

You will likely be much happier if you get to try out the skid - I assume you have a push box or similar? I look at that lot and think not a big deal - but if I were using my plow truck and not my tractor with a pusher it would be a problem.