1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Newbie

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by lilphil26, Jul 23, 2008.

1. lilphil26

lilphil26 Junior Member

Hey everyone,

I currently own my own lawncare business, and this is going to be my first year plowing. I have a 2005 F150 supercrew. I plan on purchasing a snoway 26series with dp and wireless. I have been in business 3 years now, and I know that cheap equipment wont get me very far, so that is why im planning on spending the 6 grand on a decent plow.

I already have over 25 clients who want their driveways done for the winter. I have my pricing set up starting with driveways and walks, and sidewalks are extra.

Would someone be able to tell me how many driveways would be a reasonable amount to handle for a new guy?? I figured 30 should be manageable but thats why im here asking.

Would you also recommend a small salter for my receiver?? I am not sure how clean that plow will leave a driveway. I have seen others plowing driveways, and I was not impressed with the amount of snow left on the ashalt.

Thanks a lot
    Brad

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

Ok, welcome to plow site...

As fare as how many you can do,... it just depends, travel in between, how long it takes you do do an average drive.. and when they need to be out by.... doing driveways, for planing purposes... its hard to start before 3 AM , because some snows will not stop until 4 AM or 5....

So pretend your gonna start every storm at 3 :00 AM , drive from one to the next, if it takes you 5 mins of travel between each ..doublt it , 20 mins would be 40, this is due to traffic and snow it takes longer to get places, for me each drive takes about 7 mins or so, all you need to do is add the times, and be realistic about it... a circle driveway with a side loading garage, might take 20 mins... add the times, and just make sure that you could complete them before the customers have to leave, Older customers are great , since they dont go anywere, i give mine a slight price break , but they are aware they are last on the list

Good choice for ur first plow, becasue its light weight, Ur F150 will work well for a few seasons, but dont go all crazy setting it up, at some point you need to step up to at least a F 250 or 2500 ...until then this will work fine, and at that point down the road, this would become a perfect back up truck

Spreader.... dont bother...ud be wasting ur money , and more time messing with it... Carry salt for weight.... have a push spreader and some buckets with scoops pre filled.... I lik ethe shaker jugs...work great.....and throught it by hand, dosnt take more than 2 mins.. If you have to start plowing at 3:00 AM to get every body done,... and the snow is not, i plow , then throw some salt..i dont charge for the 10lbs i would use, but it keeps me on schedual... any other falling snow for that last hr will just melt off due to the salt

If your gonna do alot of drives might look into getting a rear plow.. I have a daniels, I love it, saves time, and leaves the driveway very clean, you can find a used one for around 1500...thers few things to break on these , so used is ok

but thats just my 2 cents

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Welcome Brad. Start small your first year and do a GOOD job. Word will spread and you will have more experience on your 2nd year. Easier to get a good quality seed spreader for salting, but most people don't want their driveways salted. At least none of mine do. I do 30 drives and a bunch of commercials.

4. lilphil26

lilphil26 Junior Member

Ok perfect, thanks guys. So if thinking that if I stick with 30 for this year, and then after that, try to find some people that see me doing someone elses drive, and go after those for some pay per push jobs. I have seen 40 bucks around here for starting rates for pay per push.

Thanks again

5. lilphil26

lilphil26 Junior Member

I forgot to mention that I have a very tight route in some areas. I have one street with 6 accounts. All next door neighbors actually, and another street with 5 clients. A friend of mine is a lawyer and made me up a release/waiver that says I am not responsible if they fall and/or slip. I am still getting insurance though.

6. elite1msmith

from chicago

make sure that releae weiver states, that the property owner is soly responisble for the condtions of the property and should advise the contractor if additional service is needed,

also you are not liable for hazzards in the plowing area, shouch as newspappers, ladders, or anything let that might be un for seen under snow fall...

You are not responible for vehical movement, and in the event that a snow pile starts to obstruck vistion , including at the end of the drive way the customer should notify you, and have you remaove it at there cost.

7. lilphil26

lilphil26 Junior Member

Ok thanks, this is exactly why I joined this site. Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

You guys ROCK!

8. elite1msmith

from chicago

come up with ur own ideas on stuff and dont be afaid to throw them out there, heck you might be able to teach us a thing or 2

9. lilphil26

lilphil26 Junior Member

I actually looked at a rear mount plow, I guess like the superplow but with hydraulics. I was told that I would probably need a front mount as well as a rear. Would most people agree with that??

10. elite1msmith

from chicago

yes you need a front plow, the rear plow only aids , it cant do every thing....

The super plow , is a bit to weak and doesnt have the features that u need commecialy

Snowman , has a link above , they make a good unit.. Or do a serch for daniels pull plows... which is what i own, I like the daniels because it seems smaller , with less parts, I also like how it swings down todard the pavment, the raised position is the maxium it can extend away from the vehical... A few other rear plow makes.. when you lower the blade, it accutually swings down and away form ur vehical, so if you backed up really close to a garage door, when you lower it , the blade could hit the door on its way down

the daniels is fully extended in the raise poition, so when you lower it , it comes towards the vehical, with no chance of hitting the garage door unless , you backed up into it , in the first place

11. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Thank you for your interest in Sno-Way plows. Our 26 series will make an excellent plow for your F150.

12. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

tom is right the 26 series would be a great plow... and the dp works awesome you will love the dp

13. SuperPlow Guy

SuperPlow Guy Inactive

Weak?

Elite so what is "weak" about the SuperPlow? Just wondering....

14. elite1msmith

from chicago

i could not say this for sure about ur product, becaue i dont own one, however

it looked very light weight, as the video showed how it could be moved around easly, i didnt see much for cross bracing, or anything that would prevent it from being damaged if it was accidently backed in to a pole... granded im not saying plows shoule be built to just back up into things... but when you do a lot of loading docks, that kinda stuff will happpen in time

only one center hinge point for blade.. snowman and daneils have two, which i beleive saved my truck form a major accident about 4 years ago. No down pressure, true i think the spring idea is good one, but you cant tell me that its better than a hydo down system. The ablity to angle seems nice, however most of the time i dont want the blade to angle, and id rather have box sides on it... i like haveing control over were im putting snow, Vs, having the plow give way based on force to one side of the other... dont get me wrong, seems like a good product for a home owner, or small buisness, but i can see it holding up commercially for my applications

15. SuperPlow Guy

SuperPlow Guy Inactive

Thanks for the response

looks may be deceiving... our plow has a 1/4" steel rolled moldboard 3/8" cutting edge and weighs 420lbs.

Everyone has personnal preferences and that is what Plowsite is all about... We have contractors who have been using our plows for 10+ years and are very happy...just like the other brands have their following....

I just thought maybe you had actually used one and found it "weak" that is why I questioned it, and many people read these threads and may be mislead that you were an authority on SuperPlow...thanks for clearing things up...

Our plow is not for everyone...but at the price point, and effectiveness our customers seem happy!

Thanks

16. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

you shouldnt have a problem with that setup.

snoway makes great stuff. very good choice.

also about the salter i wouldnt worry about it. we have 250+ residential accounts and only 20 of them want their driveways salted/sanded. sand and salt is mainly used in commercial applications due to the liability issues with slip and falls. so the salter isnt necessary. plus you dont make much mooney on the salt used at residential account b/c it is such a small amount.

17. lilphil26

lilphil26 Junior Member

Well I finally got my new 26 series, and now im just dying to use it :)

Thanks for all your help everyone

18. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

lilphil26, What part of Toronto do you work in?

19. lilphil26

lilphil26 Junior Member

Im actually in whitby, not Toronto. Only 20 mins east of the tdot though

20. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

wheres the pics guy???