1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Neighbors

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Tweak, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Tweak

Tweak Junior Member

I know a couple of threads in the past have come up with this topic, but rather than resurect an old thread, Thought I'd like to get some fresh feedback on this topic.

What do you do with your neighbors during the white season?

Do you plow their drive for free?

Plow for small fee?

Plow for top dollar?

Don't plow them at all?

Only when there is really heavy snow, you'll do it for free?

Interested in hearing your thoughts.
    :drinkup:

2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

discount or not at all.
    not first priority.

one i plan on only charging twenty. i drink beer with him and he supplies the beer. another i discount because he is right next door i dont have to drive anywhere. I started off not plowing any. then i bailed one out a couple times and explained first time is free. after that i have to charge you. then a couple more asked. now im at less than market price but still doing okay since they are so close. And they aren't first priortiy.

3. matts27

matts27 Senior Member
    from CT

I don't plow for money, meaning I bought the plow for my own personal use. Therefore, 1 of my neighbors is always trying to help me out, he already has a deal with another neighbor to plow him. But when it's snowing and I'm out I'll clean him up, no charge. Another neighbor is elderly and nice folks so I plow them out and actually shovel 'em clean, nervous about 'em falling and getting hurt, hope somebody will do the same for me someday!! I would say, if you got a business, you charge, no business-- no charge, but that's just me.

4. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

My neighbours kid does my driveway.

5. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

My neighbor does my sidewalk and i do a pass for him in his driveway!

6. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

My neighbor gets done for free, AFTER mine, and only cause he has my sidwalks taken care of with his blower and salt.

7. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I do my parents driveway, and my grandmas driveway for free, they wait until after i get done with all the obligated ones for work, so they're usually all trampled down by the i get there, but i can get them down pretty good with my take home truck ('06 chevy 1500 boss v plow and snowman rear)

8. Lifted4x4Astro

Lifted4x4Astro Senior Member

I don't plow for income so I will plow the neighbors for free if they want me to. It'll be at my convenience, after my driveway is done. I work 12 hour shifts as an industrial electrician so I don't end up getting them done before they do it themselves unless I am on my days off.

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I'll plow a couple of my neighbors for free, well not really for free, they pay in:drinkup::drinkup:
    They know wen a big storm hits or when they go on vacation that they will get plowed too.

I like my neighbors to owe me. It just makes life so much easier.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I only plow my grandmas and her rental house for free. We've taken over her 60x40 or so shop so mowing the lawn and plowing are the trade off. As for all the other neighbors, I don't bother they either have it done by the time I come back from my route or I refuse to plow them because they are very unneighborly to us. (they moved in long after we did).

11. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

The old man down the road keeps my drive plowed with the tractor lol.

When were out we dont have time to do every one that lives by me, we live on a back road and I plow 2 drivers on my road at Full Rate, I plow one at the end of the road for free shes like 80 and her hubby passed away, I plow this cause I get tired of her calling every 10mins when it snows so I just do it now lol

I do knock the drifs back on the road on my way in and out

12. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

i do my girl friends house and a few close friends that are along the way home from plowing. i also will hit a neighbor or two if they need it. most of my neighbors are older and need the help...they put up with my crap all year i can help out every once and a while. i almost never do my own drive...my truck can get in and out.

13. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Lowballer!!! :p

14. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

If the association here hasnt done it before I get home when im done with the event then Ill plow the 4 driveways in our building and the littel parking lot since thats where I park. There are a few plow gguys here and they all do the same. the buildings that dont have a plow guy living there have to wait, LOL.

15. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

It all depends on my mood. I've never charged any of them. The problem is I live in a neighborhood where we are all close together and we all know each other pretty well so if I do one then everyone else waits to get theirs done or wonders why I didn't do it. To do one or two is one thing doing five or six that's $100-$200 everytime I do it that I give away.

I will plow for lap dances and have done so for some of the talent at mt local strip club:rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I don't do my neighbours, do it once and your doing it for life.

17. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

...yes we dont need any more little JD's running around

18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Let me rephrase that. LOL

19. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Well the first customers I got just happen to be my neighbors. The day they saw the plow in my driveway they started walkin over and starting the "so I see you bought a plow" conversation. I am giving them a discount though, $20, except for one neighbor who I owe a lot of favors, he's getting it for free.

20. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I don't have any neighbors. I did plow the orchard lot open when guys were there pruning trees last winter, figured after be out frezing there butts off, they didn't need to have to dig there cars out too. Plus I would LOVE to hire some of them, they work there butts off no matter the weather or hours.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008