1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing neighbors for free!

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by snowman3, Jan 3, 2009.

1. snowman3

snowman3 Junior Member

I recently installed a plow on my atv and did a couple of neighbors driveways for free.My other neighbor has an atv w/ a plow also and was doing the same neighbors for free for the past 2 or 3 seasons.
    I like doing it,one of the neighbors is elderly,the other is an older woman with no kids to help her.
    The point is now I feel obligated.My neighbor with the atv will continue to do it but should I continue doing it even though I haven't gotten one thank you yet not that I was doing it for that.
    I feel as if I opened up a can of worms.:help:

2. matts27

matts27 Senior Member
    from CT

Been plowing my neighbors for free since last year. I only do it when the snow has piled up from a decent storm and have finished my drive and walk. I'll then go over and push an elderly couples driveway and then shovel their front sidewalk. I've only done it once this year, seeing as I wait till the town comes by and then clean up. My other neighbors have started helping each other and even come by and snow blow my walk. Seems as everyone chips in, so to answer your question, do what you feel is right. Help if you enjoy it but if they call you expecting their drive's cleared right away then they should be charged. Hope this helps.

3. harlee79

harlee79 Junior Member
    from Kansas

I also do most of my neighbors drives for free, mostly cause its fun. However I think if it ever becomes to be expected I'll have a different viewpoint. I enjoy it and don't mind, but if for some reason I couldn't I hope there would be no hard feelings, but I havn't had to skip them yet.

4. nelson84

nelson84 Junior Member
    from canada

Put a bill in their mail box, times are tuff.ussmileyflag

5. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

I do it until I do not get a thank you then never again lol. Anything you do for anyone deserves a simple thank you. ;):D:D:

6. snowman3

snowman3 Junior Member

I'm glad I'm not alone in my situation.I do enjoy helping my neighbors,I would probably enjoy it more if I had your set-up there Skywagon...nice looking rig.I plow with my 650 Kawasaki Praire,I only wish I had gone with a 6ft blade instead of the 50 inch Tusk Plow from Rocky Mountain atv/mc.

7. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

yea but i drive down the road 2 miles, i dont care who ya are its cold at 50 mph? lol

8. .5racer

.5racer Senior Member

Hey snowman3 do you have any welding skills or even a friend . Get a metal barrel and cut what you need to add and weld it on and paint maybe even get some flate thin plate like I did and make some wings like this. Went from 54" to 75 " and no problem plowing.
    Have pics in process of how I made it if ya need . Even are removeable so I can do dirt and rock work like before wings .
    [​IMG]

9. dan67

dan67 Member

For Free

I also do a couple neighbors for free, Have one to the north of me that started to take it for granted, A week ago we had 8 in. of powder and i let them sit for 3 days before I got there. Might be mean but gave them a reality check. When i got there they were very thankful. I won't start plowing them next year for free, but started this year and I feel obligated. I don't want nothing just for them to relise it takes time and money to help. Hope this makes since to most. Dan

10. snowman3

snowman3 Junior Member

I posted in my thread that I wish I had gone with a 6ft blade...I meant a 5ft blade(60 in) not 6 feet.
    yeah,send along some pics,I have been toying with the idea on how I could extend my blade,at least on one side anyway due to angle plowing.
    That's quite the snowplow rig you have there,is it a Gravely? I should take some pics and post them of the machine I have been using since 1967.It was my dad's Sears Suburban he bought new in '67',those things are bullet proof! The tractor is on it's 3rd motor,original plow,lead wheel weights and chains.In low gear that tractor will climb trees...not really but you get the idea!:drinkup:

11. .5racer

.5racer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And its a Wheel Horse. I"ll get the back mounts today when I get to Mom's and split wood . The bottom is thik rubbr strips bolted on.

12. .5racer

.5racer Senior Member

13. Scott13136

Scott13136 Member

02 klf 650, 72" moose w/ wings, does a great job

14. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

i just sent my old wheelhorse to the scrap yard, i had it repainted and all then something went in the tranny, thing was a tank though? my cousin has his fathers sears craftsman from 67 still in the barn. i drove it as a kid, i felt like i was an operator pullin barb wire from underground lol.

15. snowman3

snowman3 Junior Member

.5racer..thanks for posting the pics.I am going to download those pics for reference.It looks like you have some good welding skills there.

16. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I would not plow the old geezers without a thank you at least.

17. canucklehead

canucklehead Junior Member

and we all thought we were the only ones...!!!! Last year we had a JD 790 tractor with a 6' blade, and the bucket aswell. My 12 y/o just loves any excuse to use the tractor, so EVERY snowfall he'd go and plow the neighbor's driveway (plus ours). I notice our neigbor never uses their drivway in the snow because it's just enough grade for them to get stuck, but not when my son plowed it. He did it about 5-6 times last year. we both live on 5 acre lots with really long driveways.

He did it because he wanted to play on the tractor,not for money or accolades. AND, he got neither. Personally, I'd give the kid $20 for the amount of work he was doing, or a gift, or SOMETHING! The cost of equipment, maintenance, etc... is lost on these people. HOWEVER...I truly believe that even though they overlook saying "thank you", they sincerely appreciate it, and it is a good neighborly gesture that may pay off in other ways, such as keeping a neighbor from being a complainer.

well, we sold the tractor and attachments in the summer. we borrowed a friends plow and used it on our atv. We only plowed our place and the main road several times, due to a steep hill. we never did their place, but we did our other neighbour's place because we both do each other a lot of favors. the other neighbor is parking up top again, and i think it just doesn't matter to them.

18. snowman3

snowman3 Junior Member

I plow my neighbors driveways when I can because they have been our neighbors and friends for over 50 years.A thank you is nice and I know they appreciate it even if they don't come out and say it.I know there will be a time I can't do it and maybe they will appreciate it even more....you know the old saying..."you don't know what you got till it's gone"

19. TJ548

TJ548 Junior Member

Just a thought...

I don't think most of us plow other people's driveways so they can say thank you. I help people out just because I like to help people out. I don't care if they "appreciate" it or not, just that I am doing something for someone else. It kind of makes me feel good whether they recognize me or not. I'm installing my first plow right now, partly because it will make the job more fun but partly because I will be able to help out a few more people at the same time. If you do something good for someone else, they are much more likely to do something good for you or someone else also. Performing service on behalf of someone else is never a waste.

20. snowman3

snowman3 Junior Member

TJ548...point well taken and I think for the most part that's why we do it.It's called "good karma".Not for the glory but because we want to do it and I actually have fun also.