1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing motel/hotel lot's????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by one ton dually, Feb 14, 2004.

1. one ton dually

one ton dually Member

I plow 3 motel parking lot's which take about a hour to do each one nice,and neatly,on a 6" storm and the pain is if we get snow during the night I have to make sure the place is accesable by 5:am,but I alway's have to come back after check out time to plow where the vehicle's were,and basicly I plow the lot's twice but only get paid for once.Would it be wrong to charge a clean up fee,and if so how do you tell the owner's with out hearing them whin?
  2. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

We plow a few lots like this where you have to open first then do final's later.
    When we open we do not do any parking spaces.
    We come back later to do the final we plow around the cars that are there.
    I think you need to have the cost of the 2nd trip built into the bid.
    They should have told you upfront that they expected you to come back. If they did not tell you about the 2nd trip expectation then maybe you have some room for $negotiation$ there.
    If they did tell you then SOL. Bring up your bid $ for next year.
  3. Tim Enix

Tim Enix Junior Member

We do several hotels and the way my contract reads is. A $50.00 clean up fee will be charged when we return after check out time to clear areas that were unable to be done on our first push. This takes us about 10 to 20 minutes to do. Also we reopen the appron if needed.
  4. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Ya, if you are giving a seasonal rate, you want to make sure you build that in to the price. I always ask up front what their expectations are. Basically I bid according to the size of the lot based on the time it will take to do the whole thing at cleanup and then add more on to open it up overnight. The nice thing about these types of jobs is that you can add them to your route without them interfering with any commercial stuff that has to be completely done before morning.
  5. Scott Fortin

Scott Fortin Junior Member

We have the same problem with the hotel we clear. It adds to the problem that they have a new bar/grill there this year. The way we get around this is to charge an "entrance" charge for our shorter trips to clear out the front for check out time, the bar late at night, and our clean ups. They get charged at least one "entrance" per storm along with the "complete" charge. It's a little more than half of a "complete". We actually have made out better this year by adding the charge for those short trips payup , and sold it to them on the basis of good service. The only disadvantage to this method is if the account isn't on your normal route, and you need to make a special trip. Charge accordingly..
  6. CatDieselPower

CatDieselPower Junior Member

We plow a major hotel by the Sapp Bros. truck stop in Omaha, NE. It is a pretty big hotel and has a huge lot for the trucks to park in. Usually we keep a skidloader there during the storm, and check the lot every 8-10 hours and touch up when necessary. There is traffic coming and going 24 hours a day so the place always has to be kept clean. The skidloader works great for sneaking between cars and backdragging parking spaces. We also use it to stack snow since there is only limited room. Due to the amount of time it takes and the size of the lot, we charge by the hour, which is good because we don't have to worry about taking too much time and losing money if we have to go back 5 times during a storm.
  7. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

One ton... when you bid the job, did you formulate time to complete the job ? when you do the break out..how long does it take ? 1 hour ? then the clean up / completion takes 2 hrs ? total of 3 hrs ? If you have bid correctly, then part of the job for break out is 25% and clean out / completion is 75% of the job. OR did you bid by the hour ? Dont cheat your customer... only charge for what is actually done. After completion and light snow or drifting occurs, then charge for a clean up.
  8. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

The way I do it is similar to Scott Fortin's way. I have a charge for opening the lot, then a charge for clearing the entire parking area. This has worked well for me, if it snows the trigger limit before the open then I plow and charge for the entire lot. Then when they open and it is still snowing I return for " continuous snow removal" apron, main entrances, and main drives for 1/2 the entire price. This continuous snow removal trip can happen up to three time per day in a big storm. When they close if I have to do the entire lot again then it is the full price. This is all spelled out neatly in the contract as well as "the lot will be plowed as vehicles allow" Maybe some of this will help.