1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing more than once in a snowstorm

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by CK82, Nov 17, 2005.

1. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

I do a variety of commercial parking lots and residential driveways, and my question is how do I/you know when to come back and hit the ends of the driveways after they have been plowed in by the city? . Since most people plow with the storm they will usually hit a place at least twice.

2. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

One other thing, you dont want to go to a property for no reason if the city/county has not came through yet. So how do you know when to hit the driveway ends?
  3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

It really depends alot on the storm, forecast and what type of work your doing. Some business lots need to be kept clean constantly during a storm. You have a little more time with residentials. There is no real way to know when the city/town/state will be buy to plow, again there are too many variables. Unless you can obtain a list from the towns you plow of how their routes are structured and what prioriety levels various places are assigned you have to watch and guess, even with a town "schedule" the best you can do is estimate when they will be at various places. For driveways I go out at 2-3" if more then 6" or so is forecast. For the small storms I wait for the snow to end unless somebody calls. For big storms, I start when the snow does and constantly come back, during a storm last jan i was hitting all my drives in a circle all night and all day the next day until 12 that night, hardley ever stopped. I am not a good source of info for commerical stuff, I do know that they want it done much more often like every 2" or so. During big storms (over 15" is my definition) the customers automatically get charged double what they would in a normal (>15") storm and they get 4 "visits" before I tack on a little more $. I will clean up the ends of the drives for free should the plows be a little late, my houses are all close togather so gas is a small factor which allows me to do this without charging. Its beyond my control and out of my customers hands so i dont charge for "clean up" resulting from town plows. The town usually comes inbetween when I hit the drives so it is usually somewhere between my first and last visit to clean up.
  4. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

Thanks for the reply, I guess i'll use my judgement and if people call I'll make sure im there to get the ends of the drives open. Other recommendations welcome.
  5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

another way to look at it is like this. if you do leaf clean-ups and get a lawn all clean, but then the wind blows all the neighbors leaves on it the next day, would you feel like you had to go back and do it all over again but for free?

when someone hires a plow service it is because they don't want to shovel their own driveway or cannot because of age/medical reason. if its the first reason than they should realize that your servicing many people who will all be plowed with the same level of quality and within a reasonable amount of time. if you waited till the storm was over you'll have people complaining your too late, if you come early and another 1/2" falls afterword you came too early. with residental you will never completely satisify everyone, just make sure your contract states that you may have to charge extra if a call back becomes neccessary because of town plow or a parked car, etc. this way you have a choice if you want to charge without looking bad.

if they are close i usually do not, if i have to make a out of the way trip that i can't combine with say getting the groceries, then i charge.