1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing miles vs non-plowing miles

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 19bwb67, Feb 7, 2011.

1. 19bwb67

19bwb67 Junior Member
    from 06424

I was wondering what the general rule is for wear and tear for plowing miles vs regular miles on a vehicle. I am looking at a 96/97 (early 97 w 96body) for f-350 7.5 liter w a fisher plow. it only has 18,000 mile on it, but it was all plowing. Also does anyone know what manual transmission type was for the 96/97 model and what its reputation was? Thanks, Brett

2. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Well heres an easy analogy. If he plowed a road that was 1 mile long he plowed it 18K times :laughing:

The trans was a ZF (42 or 47 cant remember) IIRC.

I would just drive it and look it over very good. Cant really tell how much was actually plowing as you have drive time also and he could have drove an hour to the jobsite.....never know. How much does he want as that dictates more IMO.

Have fun plowing with a stick. There is plenty here that do it and love it but Im an auto type guy for plowing.

3. 19bwb67

19bwb67 Junior Member
    from 06424

he's asking blue book prices based on 18k. My response is yeah... 18k of the harding driving imaginable on a tranny. i would think i should quadruple the miles (72k) and see what the blue book says.

4. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

So what is the price?

5. 19bwb67

19bwb67 Junior Member
    from 06424

$4000- but it has a broken steering shaft- that broke because something in the front end was seized up??? i'm not sure why? maybe the rack? i need to ask him more about it, but i can't even test drive it. the plow was used for about 25 contracts for 10 years- according to him it plowed and then just sat each year. salt and rust are starting to get to it.

6. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Well good thing is since its a F350 it should have the solid front axle. Thats a strong plus. Tell him to fix the steering before you even consider. Gas mpg will not be all that great but 5 speed will help a little. If its not all rusted to hell on the body then Id say $3500 is a decent price. Those older trucks are solid as far as plowing goes. Just make sure the clutch and everything feels good and start negotiating with him. If the plow is beat up tell him $2500 and see where it goes. Used plows can always be had pretty cheap.

7. 19bwb67

19bwb67 Junior Member
    from 06424

Thanks, What about the tranny- i thought zf42or47 was an automatic

8. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Dont know anything about those trans. Yes they are manuals. I know the newer chevys all have the ZF-6 for manual trans so they cant be too totally bad. Id take one of those ZFs in an older Ford anyday before an AOD unless it was a built C6.