1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing menards

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by windrowsnow, Dec 30, 2008.

1. windrowsnow

windrowsnow Senior Member
    from nw ohio

local contractor bid a menards store around me for 75.00 per hour per peice of equipment. last two snowfalls had two trucks 7.5 foot blades and a bobcat s175 with a snowbucket on the lot....took all three peices 12 hours each to clear. does this sound right? a total of $2700.00 to plow? i know its a fact i know the contractor personally.

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

If that inlcude the lumber yard i could see it taking that long

3. nekos

nekos Senior Member

Menards lot's can be anywhere from big to ginormous , 12 hours for 2 trucks + a cat ... that does seem like a long time though.

google map the lot and post pictures of it . would help determine how long it should take.

4. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

i have no idea how to google map and post

5. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Sorry but thats way to long. If you can't get in there and have it done in 2 to 3 hours you need to get an inside job.

Our menards just got rebid this year. The last guy used a couple plow trucks and a wheel loader. I guess he didn't want it anymore because the lumberyard wouldn't open its gates untill 630 am. So he let it go, supposidl had to clear the yard area in record time. Plus there is NO PLACE TO PILE IT!!!!!

I am not sure who does it now, but it looks like they are doing a good job. Little do they know, I am going after it next year.

J.

6. nekos

nekos Senior Member

7. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth Senior Member

That seems crazy long and high priced to me. Put some wings on those plows and a box plow on the Bobcat. Snow buckets on skid steers are useless in my opinion except for stacking.

8. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

yeah but hes only charging $75/ hr. I've said before guys who beat you with hourly rates tend to be inefficient and pad times

9. nekos

nekos Senior Member

im assuming you mean subs ?

i know i wouldn't bust my arse if i was only going out for 2 - 3 hours a night. my 20 minute lot's would magically turn into 4 1/2 hour lot's. payup

10. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

11. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

3 pieces of equip at 12 hours each on that lot, WOW, they either dont know what they are doing or they know how to put it to Menards.

12. Runner

Runner Senior Member

That's a good sized place, but it isn't 12 hours big...not for 3 vehicles. That should be around a 4 to 6 (tops) hour push. Running V's or even wings would take it down close to 4. It's about the size of a Home Depot.

13. nekos

nekos Senior Member

thats a decent sized lot ...

i would split the front in half with 2 trucks ... in a small storm where windrows wont ever get to big to push , 2 hours MAX ! probably less.

the back could be a problem depending on where you can stack the snow but im assuming that's where the cat comes in. i don't want to comment on the back part because i have no clue how long it would take a cat to do that .

14. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

i figured 12 hours one truck max i will bet big $$$$$$ he doesnt have it next year

15. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I did menards for a couple years here. It is a huge lot. I used all straight blades, on 3 trucks. basically the same as listed below. I charged 65 an hour for the two small trucks, and 85 an hour for the dump truck. I also had a loader then, but only used it when we got more than 10 inches. In total I was looking at 3 hours for the 3 trucks, then if the snow got deep, we would be about 5 hours total. It sounds to me like someone is milking the crap out of a job.

16. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Seems EXTREMELY high.

17. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

Google maps is a nice reference but I would not use it for bidding or an estimated time. I have one lot that is somewhat small and on the map looks easy, but it is very time consuming. It may take 12hrs to do that menards. There may be alot more to it that what is on a overhead shot.

18. nekos

nekos Senior Member

i know what ya mean ...

when i look at lot's on google maps i look more at how many parking spaces there are then anything else. parking spaces are roughly the same size every where so it's a better gauge ( at least for me ) of how big a lot really is .

19. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  20. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

12 hours with 3 machines? Thats 36 man hours.