1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Low or High Range with Toyota

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ToyotaPower, Mar 15, 2003.

1. ToyotaPower

ToyotaPower Senior Member

:confused: When your plowing a driveway with a Toyota pickup truck should you be in 4X4 High or 4X4 Low range.

2. Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto Member

It depends how much power the engine has. Plus if you have a manual or auto. And how much snow there is. Using low range in a driveway won't hurt anything, because you don't get up any speed. Doing large lots would be different, but then again you wouldn't be doing those with a small truck anyway. If it were me, using a low powered truck, I'd be in low range for anything above a small accumulation. But I have 505 ft/lbs of torque out of my engine, si it's hard to relate. :D But we all have to start somewhere. :waving:

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

In a light snowfall,you should be OK in 4HI,if the snow is heavy,or you feel it bogging down,or it's too hard to push,throw it in 4LO.

4. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Almost all the time when plowing with my '89 Toyota, I run in 4Low. It will put more torque and does not need any shifting. When you are in 4Low, put the gear in 2nd gear instead of 1st gear. No need to shift into 3rd gear when plowing. If you do, that mean you are plowing too fast.

However there are a few light snow events that I could plow in 4High. But when I do that, the battery voltage would drop a bit. It is because the engine is not running at higher RPM, so the alternator is not charging as much as it would when in 4Low. So most of time I would still run in 4Low. If you have a long driveway to backup, just shift into 4High and when you are done backing up, shift back into 4Low.

Hope that this will help you. And welcome to Plowsite! :waving:

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Low when pushing big, stacking or working hills.

High when making long runs or in light snowfalls.

Avoid "stalling" in piles. This is hitting the pile or plowing and letting the sngine bog. Use the clutch and transmission together and you will save both.

6. myo

myo Senior Member

yeah, 4Lo in driveways and 4hi on long runs