1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Lots With Landscape

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chopper0912, Mar 18, 2007.

Do you?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
  2. No

5 vote(s)
  3. Try Not To But Sometimes Have To

14 vote(s)
  1. Chopper0912

Chopper0912 Junior Member

I am wondering if any other plowers do this. I was in a parking lot tonight, and I saw something that is not right. The company has plowed all the snow, did it this year and last year onto all the plants and shrubs in the parking lot. I'm not talking a little snow, I am talking stacked snow with a front end loader. Some of the plants that were covered last year died over the spring and summer before this plow season. I just want to know if you guys plow snow onto the landscape that is there or if you work around this. I know if I owned the property I would not be happy what so ever because they killed all the shrubs on my property because they don't care or don't want to take the time to move it a little further to pile it. Just wanted to hear from you guys.

2. mufman

mufman Junior Member

Often times there is no place for the snow except for the islands with shrubs and such on them. It is not the first place I try to push it, but i dont blink about putting there. I wouldn't have a loader dumping on them though. I dont believe I have ever had a commercial building with a parking lot that I could avoid stacking it on some shrubs somewhere.
  3. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

My Hotels specify, get it off the parking lot. So we put it on the landscape, the plants die, we replace them in spring and make more money. Job security. Put for accounts that dont want it on the landscape they have designated parking spots for snow.
  4. AlwaysGreener

AlwaysGreener Senior Member

Some of our commercial lots have no push zones, so we have to put it on landscape beds, during our initial meetings we let them know this..they really don't care about a few dead plants they just don't want there customers suing us or them so dump the snow wherever..
  5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

If I have to work around plants so it takes me more time I charge extra.payup
  6. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Same here. I'm too busy in the spring to do work I can avoid by spending more time in the winter doing what should be done. I can see where some guys don't have a choice, so the time & cost outweigh winter aggravation.
  7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Snow and Ice management should be viewed as an emergency service. During a fire, couldn't care less (to a point, you FF's know what I mean) about property damage if it helps get the fire out. This should carry over--to a certain extent--when plowing. Shrubs and so on are a secondary concern when you're getting the snow out of the way. Just like a fire, if it's possible to do the job without further damage, then so be it. If it takes burying some shrubs, so be it also.
  8. starc

starc Senior Member

I have area's in some of the condo units I do that years back were just lawn areas and they were ment for snow pilling in the winter. Over the years, they have made large gardens in those areas. I continue to pile snow in those area, if the plants break or die...not my problem.
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

It's really not an issue that the snow plow operator can control.

It's an issue that comes into designing the property, which, sometimes even the designing crew cannot avoid due to requirements from the city about green areas, natural screening / fencing, etc.

No one cares about how the property is going to be maintained when designing, just that it looks pretty.