1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing loose (soft) gravel lots

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by trustyrusty, Dec 3, 2012.

1. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

I have a hard time on soft gravel lots not digging into the gravel. Skid shoes just tend to plow into the gravel and do virtually no good, and lifting the plow slightly off of the surface doesn't do as smooth of a job as I like to see.

Has anyone ever tried making gauge wheels that would fit the skid shoe brackets? I think they would be the bomb for plowing on gravel. If airport and some muni equipment uses wheels, why wouldn't they work for us?

2. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Search the site for gravel guard or yard guard...people have lots of success with a piece of pipe split and attached to the cutting edge.

3. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

raise the blade leaving a couple of inches of snow, then back blade it all. i've had decent luck with this approach, but still hate gravel drives.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Gravel edge is the way to go until everything freezes solid.

5. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050