1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing long, narrow, deep drive?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Buckeye Chuck, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Buckeye Chuck

Buckeye Chuck Senior Member

I did a 300 ft. drive the other day with deep wet snow ( 7in. avg.), and a dirt drive underneath. There wasn't room on the sides to push the snow.
    Is it best to go in with plow fully angled and down all the way or try and take half off the top with plow angled or straight?? I was worried about driving on top of snow if I skimmed it with that unfrozen dirt drive underneath.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

NEVER try taking off the top. You will only get stuck. What happens is your truck will ride up on the snow. At some point, the truck will sink into the snow taking the plow with it. Now, you won't be able to raise the moldboard high enough to go either forward or backyard. The only way out is to shovel behind all four tires and the moldboard to back out. A wrecker will even have a hard time pulling you back out because it will also have to pull all the snow behind the moldboard. Even if you try lifting it "just a little" the moldboard will ride up and winding up stuck.

Keep the plow all the way down and fully angled. You'll just have to figure out where to put the snow. Maybe have to haul it away.

(Yes, voice of experience.)
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2004
  3. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

And that's some of the best advice you are going to get. Keep the wheels on the ground allways.
  4. Buckeye Chuck

Buckeye Chuck Senior Member

Very good, makes sense to me. Thanks
  5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The same goes for backdraging snow. If you try to pull too much snow backwards you can end up putting it under your front end and lift your truck. When you stop and raise the plow, the snow will keep your front end up resulting in no weight on your front tires and so much snow behind your plow that you won't be able to move. The best thing to do is raise your plow as you continue to back up, spreading out the snow.