1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing long drive in Maine blizzard, video

Discussion in 'Storm Pictures' started by stargazer, Feb 14, 2011.

1. stargazer

stargazer Member

You have gotten Maine style snow down south this winter, but I'll bet you don't have driveways like this one in your town or city! :D

I go into the ditch at the halfway point, but come back out without stopping. :eek: I'm driving and plowing with one hand, holding a small snapshot shirt pocket camera in the other shooting a video clip. Very rough gravel drive.

Crank up the sound and go to full screen to get the feeling of being there. Man, I'd almost pay to do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RJixgItw1s

It's 5 minutes out of 12 hours of enjoyment!

By the way, it's the second pass. The first was even more exciting, using the V plow, but I hit the darn "pause" button just after I started.

2. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Thats one long a$$ drive!

3. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

How long is that driveway?
    I thought I would look out my house window and see you pass by! :)

4. stargazer

stargazer Member

Excellent, love original humor. :D You'd probably hear me go by with the music cranked up. My wife and I are both musicians, so we have decent stereo's at home. But that dump truck has the best stereo I own, which is why my helper gets the other truck.

Not sure exactly, but over a mile. I've had some real experiences there. Once the snow was VERY deep and drifted level over a dip in the road. When I dipped down the snow came over the hood and onto the windshield, I thought I was going down for good! Felt like driving into a river and hitting a hole. Came back up like a submarine surfacing.

Love those adrenaline rushes! Never take your foot off the gas!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  5. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Nice video. What part of Maine are you in?

6. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

wow thats a long driveway lol

7. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Whats the truck/plow combo?

8. stargazer

stargazer Member

Chevy cab/chassis chopped off at the rear spring hanger with plate and hitch welded on. It has a short aluminum Truckcraft flatbed dump body that the truck body builder refused to guarantee because they said it was too small - works great! It's a 3500 4x4 with locking differential, dual wheels, dual gas tanks, and dual batteries in parallel. 8.1 liter vortec gas (hog) with an Allison tranny. Truck was ordered specifically for plowing.

I have chains all around for the wheels, boron steel with big 1/4 inch thick studs, hardened after assembly (from Finland). In Nova Scotia I used to have boron "bumps" welded onto my horse's shoes, he could gallop across frozen lakes without slipping. Boron steel really grips the ice. In fact, if it's slippery I can rip through the ice, the pavement, and down into the roadbed gravel for a good grip! :eek: I plow almost no pavement, all gravel.

The speakers have titanium tweeter horns, like you might find in a top quality PA system at a concert. Cones are poly with deep rubber surrounds. That's Fiona singing with Ollabelle ("Elijah Rock"). She's long and lean and beautiful, plays bass also with those long fingers (not on that particular song). She has an Australian accent when she talks to you, but you can't hear it when she sings. All four members sing really well, they do a variety of styles. Wish they would come back north, if you get a chance to see them in concert, bet you won't forget them. The songs are now more developed and lots better than on my old CD.

The plow is a stainless 9 1/2 foot Fisher eXtreme V, which I really like, fast acting and good cast and height. I have the handheld fishstick controller. You should see that V open up a deep road with the snow flying to each side and the truck tracking straight. I usually have at least a ton or more of sand in the back for weight. All six tires are true winter tires with heavy studs.

9. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

We need a picture of this truck!!!

10. skimastr105

skimastr105 Member

no kidding. show us a picture of the truck. sounds like a plowin machine.

11. stargazer

stargazer Member

[​IMG]
    This is down near the bottom of my property, you can see part of a wheel chain hanging over the side of the bed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shot from the 2nd barway on my property. Look close at the bottom of the last photo, see the white car coming at you? That's almost down to the end of my property.

12. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Nice truck and plow. If I was going to plow that far I would have somthing with a wing. Do you ever have to hire somebody to shelf that bank off?

13. OrganicsL&L

OrganicsL&L Senior Member
    from Maine

IS that Katahdin or the Bigelows? Beautiful scenery! Only problem with plowing drives like that is usually you can only get $50 for them....here in S. Maine anyway! Nice rig though.

Or the White Mtns?

14. stargazer

stargazer Member

I looked into a wing and took careful measurements, the one I looked at (jjag wing) rode too low, even in the full up position.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I go up and down a lot and the hydraulic cylinder and shaft would hit the road when making the break from steep down to leveled off. Why they engineered the shaft to ride under the support arm is beyond me. Good for flatlands and city streets, useless to me. I wish I could have one, a high rider would get paid for in one big snow year, then make money. I also need a lot of maneuverability to do some of my jobs, I'd get wider and have trouble in tight spots with the wing.

I have to hire it done, very expensive so I wait till it absolutely must be done or I risk being trapped, which has almost happened.

15. stargazer

stargazer Member

White Mtns, I'm near the border and used to plow into N.H. I've cut back and stay in ME. now.

I like to say that my standard driveway charge is $25, but with the price of gas I do charge more for the one in the video.

16. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Yea and then they tell you, you didn't do it properly.

Whos the Artisit Chaka Khan ? LOL..

17. stargazer

stargazer Member

Here is a picture of my other flat bed Chevy, also a dually cab/chassis:

[​IMG]

18. stargazer

stargazer Member

:) ............. :laughing: ..........................................:gunsfiring:

19. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

someone needs a plow deflector.

20. OrganicsL&L

OrganicsL&L Senior Member
    from Maine

I was thinking a better defroster...LOL