1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Laws?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by ALarsh, Dec 29, 2005.

1. ALarsh

ALarsh Senior Member

I am wondering where/what the plowing laws in Wisconsin are. Is there a site I can find all of the laws for plowing?

Is it illegal for a 16 year old to be plowing residential driveways? Commercial? What are the laws?

Thanks for any help.
  2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

check under your states web site for minor labor laws most states prohibit minors from occupations operating motor vehicles.
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You also might want to check your insurance. My Corporate insurance won't allow drivers under 21.
  4. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

i was plowing the week after i turned 16 in a chevy 3500 dump truck. no1 ever gave me a hard time about it. i doubt they would to you
  5. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

You should be able to get coverage. It's whether or not you can pay for it!

Don't remember what I paid for insurance when I was 16 but I did do it. I'm paying about $175,000 per year for insurance.

My personal work truck is just over $980.00 per month right now. That's with no accidents or tickets on my record.

Auto drops 10% when you have had your license for 3yrs in NYS. It would have been 10% less to begin with if I had taken driver's ed. I already knew how to drive so that was pointless.

You cannot sign a contract. That may be your biggest obstacle. If you can have the business in your parents name and have them sign the contracts you should be all set. Just make sure you are covered fully under the COMMERCIAL PLOWING insurance rider. Ordinary commercial or plain auto insurance will not cover it.
  6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

$175,000??? What all are you insuring? At some point, it's not worth being in business if you're only working to pay expenses. Same with the $980/mo.

Most people do know how to drive when they take driver's ed - although some do take it without ever having driven before. The purpose is supposed to be to sharpen skills and make a safer driver. Has been since I took it back in 1965. That's why insurance companies reward having taken it.
  7. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Thats some serious coin for insurance.
    $980.00 a month for one truck is not a very good deal though.
    One truck commercial runs me 1250.00 a year, you might want to shop your policy.
  8. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

9. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Last edited: Dec 30, 2005
  10. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

175k in insurance????

14,583 / month

Better be a multi multi million dollar company.....NET
  11. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

I started plowing when I was 16 and never ran into any kinds of problems. If you can get a license and carry insurance I dont see a problem with it.
  12. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Yah, that $980 / month. There's some doo-doo there. My 2005 and 2003 Dodge 2500's run me about $2500 for the two for the year, so along the lines of T-Man.

Although, I guess you never specified it's a pickup. If you're talking tandem dump truck, then I suppose you COULD be running along the $980 or so. Even then, it's high.
  13. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

qualitylawncare, I checked out your profile and your website. You sign your post "Steve". If you are Steve Krieger, listed as the owner of Quality Lawncare and Landscape Management and you are 19 years old, own 14 trucks and have the business shown, my hat is definately off to you. But please understand my skepticism. The website shows the company has been in operation for seven years, which means you were 12 years old. With 14 trucks and insurance of $175,000 that means an average of $12,500 per truck per year.
  14. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

15. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

16. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

This thread is going in different directions, so I would like to post this direction as well......

In order to have a "fleet", do you need the trucks to be all named with the same company name, or can you just put a bunch of trucks together, with no company names on them, and say "here is my fleet"??

If the latter is the case, then I'll get all of my buddies together, all of whom have plows, take a great big picture of 20 plow trucks, even though we all have our own accounts / deals that we plow, and average out how much I pay for my truck for costs / insurance, multiply it by 20, and WHA-LA!!! I've got a full blown FLEET!
  17. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

18. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

19. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

And another point to make,

I do have what someone would consider a "fleet".

We have 15 vehicles on our policy, a commercial auto policy and I will say that our premium is nowhere near $175,000. I think maybe he put an extra zero in by mistake.

Now if you're 18-21 and have a ton of new vehicles and you register and insure them under your personal name then you would be paying a significant amount more but it would take a lot more vehicles to equal that number than a bank would finance for an 18-21 yr old.

Due to my own age, when I went from a personal policy on the trucks to a commercial policy I saved THOUSANDS of dollars, because once they are registered to a corporation, my age didnt matter as I was only listed as one of a whole list of drivers.

procutvehicle 034.jpg
  20. me1223

me1223 Member

thats a very impressive fleet there, any tips for those starting out?