1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Large Lots

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snowboy9999, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Snowboy9999

Snowboy9999 Junior Member

I am curious as to what some of the different strategies are when it comes to working large lots, especially using box plows.

Im especially interested in the process for getting the detail work done, i.e. before or after the box plow works. Is a skid steer or truck a better tool to work with a box plow. Is anyone using a box plow only?

For example, lets say your working a 20 acre (paved area) shopping center with essentially rectangular parking lots interrupted in the standard way with islands, lightpoles etc.

It's a 3 inch snow. What is the most efficient way to tackle this?

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

We use trucks with 8ft or 9ft blades and a loader

3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

loader with a pusher box with a truck to help out. I see a box blade on a truck as being a PITA. now a blizzard or a V or maybe sometimes some turkey wings may help in clean up.

4. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

I ran a box plow on a loader for doing a large moving company lot. The best thing is to have stockpiles on both ends so you're not wasting a lot of time backing up and only pushing one way.. We didn't do much cleanup for that one. On 3 other sites, I had 4 plow trucks push to the middle of the road and I would push with the box plow to the storage site.. The biggest problem I had with the box plow was finding the right angle for it to make sure it was level when I was pushing.. The sides of the box were angled down and it was really hard to just it..

5. Snowboy9999

Snowboy9999 Junior Member

Kloan,

Thanks for the info. We found on the angle that it's really important to make sure the drivers are keeping the bucket in float mode in order to keep the box even. The tendency is to want to put down pressure on the box to bet a better cleaning but this ends up lifting the sides up and letting all kinds of snow slip through on the sides.

How much snow do you guys get up there anyway?

6. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

pros,
    are plowing large lots like 6-8 hours hard on a truck. The ones I am looking at now are pretty much straight and an easy plow. Do i need nething extra or do u recomend plowing large lots or not?
    Thnaks
    Bchlawns

7. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Drivers that keep taking the loader outa float mode burn up the shoes in a hurry.

Plowing large lots arnt really harder on a truck than anything else. its just about being efficient. A guy with a loader can plow things in so much less time than a guy in a truck with a 8.5' blade its unreal. If your stuck doing alot of stacking and backing in your truck that can get hard on it....or harder than just peeling off windrows.