1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing! Is this for me?

Discussion in 'SnowSport®' started by gmack616, Nov 21, 2004.

1. gmack616

gmack616 Member

Hey Guys, i have decided to start my own plowing business this year. I was just laid off of work and was given a nice severance check from my last job. I dont really want to get a job until spring time. I was gonna move to miami and hybernate till spring then come back to the real world. I live just outside of washington d.c. in northern virginia.

I have always been somewhat interested in plowing and i do own a 2002 silverado 1500. i know its not a heavy duty truck ideal for large scale commerical plowing, but i think itll be good for residential and light comercial work. So my other plan was to take about have the money i have on hand right now and buy a plow and try to generate good income this winter.

For those that aren't familiar with the d.c. area, we typically get about 4 decent storms each winter and every time it snows even just a couple inches around here, people loose their minds and all hell breaks loose. From what i have observed in years past there is NOT alot of commercial competition around here for snow removal. I've seen lots go for 2 or 3 days after a snowfall w/o being plowed.

I plan on printing flyers and putting them on as many houses and street signs as i can in my general area. I'd rather blanket an entire zip code and hope to get a small percentage of them as customer than not have enough work to make my investment and time worth it. Also plan on going around to gas stations and other small business to hand out my # during the week before the first forecasted snow... the kinda area i live in is one where as soon as the first snow forecast comes in they have tv news crews at grocery stores as the entire suburban population raids the store supply of water, milk, bread and shovels.

so do you guys think this would be worth it for me? assuming it snows a few times this season, do you think i can make back a $3,000 plow investment as well as a nice little profit for my time?

2. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Sorry dude but i dont want to burst you bubble but i think you may be barking up the wrong tree. You want to go out and spend 3 grand on a plow and this late in the game are going to try to make any money at it. By the time you spend some more of your money for insurance , gas and repairs I think your going to end p in the hole on this one. No to mention your time. Im a firm believer that your time is worth money. You would be better to find someone to sub yourself out to if you can find anybody that will pay you what your worth. Most guys who sub you out want you to carry your own insurance. A buddy told me something recently that Id rather go broke fishin. Save your truck and your freetime go get a pt job doing something. If your so set on plowin then find someone who has their own truck thats lookin for a driver. Sure your will not make as much but you dont have the expenses either. If you werent looking to go to a warmer climate next year then I would give you a diff answer. Dont take what ive said personally you will have to sit down put EVERYTHING down on paper so you know exactly where you stand and you may come up with an diff answer....Rob
  3. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

If that is the case I would not be looking for information in the SnowSport forum. It is a personal utility plow that is not designed or intended for commercial use. I would say a plowing business is about as commercial as you can get. Try the regular plowing forum..

KSWART Member

Well after growing up in Northern Va and still going home quite often I would say go for it. Just hit the good neighborhoods $$$$$ like Ashburn Farms, Great Falls, Reston, Mclean..... I was there last January during the storm and wished I had a plow on the truck I was in. There is none or little compitition in residential because as you said there aren't that many storms. I'll be down there when it snows and we don't have it here. So if it's worth a 7 hour ride to me it should be more than worth a plow to you. For those of you not familar with the area yes there is a ton of $$$$$ and not many plows.... Hell VDOT doesn't even have many plows. With an average of less than 4 good storms it's not worth it to do residential but in a need for it. Also you can find a used plow for less.
  5. S & L LawnCare

S & L LawnCare Member

ive herd some many bad things bout putting a plow on 1500's and 150's just not made for it id save the truck and do something else
  6. driftpin

driftpin Junior Member

I have an 02 Silverado and have a 6 1/2ft Fisher MM2 installed on it and have plowed my own driveway and our church parking lot for about 3 years now. The truck has performed I do some occasional plowing for a friend when big storms come and my truck does fine. The only thing you really have to worry is the dang tranny. The 4L60-e isn't the stongest kid on the block. I personally would rather have bought the 2500 in hindsite. I was just worried it was too high for me, being that I'm in a wheelchair but now that I'm so used to getting out of my 1500 Z71, ?I know I could get in the 2500, only a couple inches higher. Back to the topic. I think your truck would do fine with some small residential jobs and some very light commercial jobs. You could make a few bucks, just make sure to put a bit of it in a savings account for when the truck does break down. Also one other thing I would do is pick yourself up a 02 Denali Instrument Cluster on Ebay and install it on you Silverado. Your tranny already has a tranny temp sensor and is fully wired up to your instrument cluster harness. Chevy was just to cheap to install the guage for us but the Denali one works well. Keep an eye on the temps and keep good maintenance of your tranny. I like to do a fluid and filter on it every 30,000 miles and its alot cheaper if you do it yourself and buy the filter from Transtar Industries. Well that my two cents. Have fun.