1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing interlock?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by higgs2ca, Feb 27, 2008.

1. higgs2ca

higgs2ca Member

can any one give me any suggestions about plowing an interlocking brick drive. I am wondering if there are any tricks of the trade on this one.
    Thanks.

2. SLLNorth

SLLNorth Member

Rubber or Poly cutting edge would be my suggestion.

3. Indy

Indy Senior Member

???Plow shoes might keep you off the ground enough not to do much damage, but I have never plowed on blocks, good luck:salute:

4. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Dont do it is my suggestion :p

Like already said, poly edge

5. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

clearly state in your contract "not responsible for damage to paver/brick driveways" Ive talked with some of the guys i work with about this and they say the main problem is just getting long chalky marks down the driveway.

6. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

I did one once and all I did was back drag it one time and some pavers came up, some cracked and I will NEVER do one again. I had plow shoes on as I just finished plowing some gravel and not again,.:cry::gunsfiring:

7. Indy

Indy Senior Member

THat's good enough for me, sounds like ya need to break out the blower!!!wesport

8. higgs2ca

higgs2ca Member

thanks to all for your quick responses, It sounds like I will learn from others mistakes on this on.Thanks again.

9. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Backdragging is safer than plowign forward. It doesn't cut into the brick as much. Now, providing the interlock installer made the driveway leveled is the question! If there is any heaving of the bricks, you'll bang it off.

10. A. we rarely clean to the surface ( of anything)
    A little snow is a way of life here.

B. I use a yard-guard/ pipe on the bottom of our plow
    (pictures available) and I am plowing the whole dang season with it on (actually worn out
    and have a new one)

C. there was a thread from Jerre showed a piece of composite deck ( 5/4 X 6 in) as
    a 'cutter' edge --seemed odd but that would work if this is a big job and worth the effort

D. otherwise fire up the blower
    tc

11. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

I have a customer that has interlock. I have a clause in her contract that says not responsible for any damage done to her surface or removal lifting of the bricks on her driveway. Other then that.... a poly or rubber blade does less damage. Shoes prevent scraping of the blade against the bricks but you will have chalk lines from where the shoes sit on top of the bricks. Its basically a loose loose situation. Blow it or dont bother IMO....

12. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I did one last year for a guy, and it sucked. The blocks were pry 8''X8'' and they had a beveled edge on them, so ever few inches you'd feel the plow drop a little then back up then back down. I usually plow driveways pretty fast, but not this one, Took me usually 20 min to a half hour to do. Not to mention, it was pry a quarter mile long black top then pry a 100x100 up by the garage, then pry a 200 foot long x 14 foot wide drive too the 100x 100 area. All up hill and a drop off on one side, then at the top of the hill was the start of the pavers. then it went down towards this house. The driveway was one of those one that you didn't want to freeze, because once you go down you might not come back up.

13. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I agree with the snowblower suggestion. They put this much money INTO the driveway, it is high maintenance. they will understand that. It is not worth the damage even WITH a poly or rubber edge.