1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing in tow mode

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RichG53, Sep 20, 2008.

1. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I would like to know if there is any advantages or dis advantages or none to plowing or traveling with the plow to use the TOW mode with an auto trans......

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

What kind of truck has a "TOW" on the shift indicator... a tow truck?

3. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

GM's & Fords (maybe Dodge?)..........Its ok, you drive a jeep :D

I think it could help in certain situtions, it raises your shift points. If youre plowing with light throttle and high speed, the tow mode might help your tranny, less shifts and keeps your RPMs up. As for going down the road with it on...i dont think its necessary unless you have a lot of steep grades between jobs.

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Dodges do have a button on the shift lever that shuts the O/D off.

5. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

If I have a load of salt in the dump insert, while plowing, I use tow mode. I also use it when I have salt and no plowing, just with the weight in the back, it doesn't hurt to extend the shift points.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Try the search feature as this gets covered virtually every year. Use search terms such as "tow/haul" and "T/H". Plenty of reading....

7. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Tow?Haul mode

Newer chevy trucks have a button you push on the shifter......

8. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

its in your owners manual on when to use it. so isnt offroading, plowing snow.... at least its in mine.
    one of the least read books is the car owners manual i think. ussmileyflag

9. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Bri uses his manual as a coaster for his beer cans

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Very good advise, it's a shame people don't use that feature more often. Most of the "Newbie" questions have been covered more then once. Guess it's cause the folks asking aren't "site savvy" That said;

This is my favorite. a little more in-depth then most. Could be more then you want to know:D

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=40805&highlight=tow/haul

11. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I use it sometimes. Usually when it's a big, heavy snow. You'll notice a difference.