1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing in tough area

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by robison_01, Feb 22, 2009.

1. robison_01

robison_01 Junior Member

got a 99 dodge ram 2500 with 8' western with wings plowing a storage unit with buildings on both sides i have ben pushing snow to center away from buildings then run straight blade down and throw back to center. does a good job but takes forever is there another way?

2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

With the truck and blade setup you describe- I would say that's probably it. Other equipment would be easier (loader with box blade, expandable blade on the truck like a Blizzard style).

3. robison_01

robison_01 Junior Member

yea thats the best i came up with work for company they only pay money for skidsteer with deep snow

4. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

You could put custom wings on your plow. More like make your plow into a box with quick disconnects. I know I have seen them on this site somewhere try searching wings on here and see.

5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

91ak250 has box "ends" on his 8ft boss.

6. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

We do some storae units like this too. We usually work it to the center wit a pick-up, as your doing, & have a loader swing thru w/ a 12' pusher. That think is the fastest method. Only downside is that there is usually a swail in between the buildings, which always leaves some snow behind.

Obviously, this isn't always practical for everyone ie: loader. I think a V-plow, Blizzard, or even the boxed ends are all a huge improvement over Pro-wings.

Good Luck!

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Get a V-Blade or wings for the plow you have.

8. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

That's how I plow the storage places I have as well. I always try to keep my blade as straight as possible and just before the snow starts to pour out of the sides I'll angle it to the center. Next year I'll have a V plow hopewfully. I do a few storage places and it takes some time. I don't even have any wings on my straight blade.

9. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Hope this picture makes sense.
    When you have to move snow along way down a lane, here's what you need to do.

Plow the snow toward the center leaving about 3-4 feet in the center.
    Drive down the center of these 2 piles with the blade straight. (This will create 2 windrows)
    Back up down the center of this lane then plow a bunch (large amount) of snow off each side into the center (shown with red arrows)
    Now back up and pick up the large pile (yellow arrow) with your blade straight and take it down the lane.
    As your windrows get bigger you will be able to carry huge amounts down the center lane and the windrows will keep the snow from falling off.
    Hope this helps
    S

Plow.JPG

10. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

That is a great explanation. I'll try that next time. I like that better than my way!:nod:

11. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Thats a pretty ingenious system. Put the snow to work for you. I like it.

12. robison_01

robison_01 Junior Member

thanks guys for your advice

13. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

I forgot to mention that after you push the big pile down to the end of the lane use your mirrors when backing up and stay in the lane.
    If you drive up into your windrows in reverse you could get stuck.
    Or you end up packing it down.
    This also works for long roads as well.

P.S. Don't tell anyone It will be our little secret...Ha Ha.
    S.

14. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

That's really smart man. Thanks for sharing it!

15. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

I do storage units also, the centre lane is the biggest problem. However my solution may be unique to the location. There are no buildings behind the property., although there is a highway running along the front of it. The centre lane snow is simply blown with a 95 Hp tractor and 8 foot blower with a commercial type chute over the roof of the building on the field side.

16. BrianWillan

BrianWillan Junior Member

I'd like to see a video of that. :D

Cheers