1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing in the earthquake

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by smokin4by, Feb 10, 2010.

1. smokin4by

smokin4by Member
    from indiana

hey i hear you guys NW of chicago had a 4.3 mag earthquake this morning. i guess it was about 4 am. just wanted to see who was out working, or if you even noticed.xysport

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I was out but didn't feel it while plowing. Heard about it on the radio about 3 or 4 minutes after it happened. I was within 20 miles of the center.

3. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I must have JUST fallen asleep and missed it. Oh well. Maybe next time.

4. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Must be you dropped your plow at the same time. :)

5. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

i think anything in the 4s is hard to feel, 5 and its shaking and 6 is rough, 7 and 8 destroys everything above.

6. cpsnowremoval

cpsnowremoval Senior Member

i was getting ready to go out plowing when the earthquake hit
    i thought it was a train cuz i live pretty close to the tracks
    one local guy on the radio called in and said he thought a snow plow hit his house

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Everyone that was calling into US99 was comparing it to a snowplow hitting their house. It must be a common occurrence a little south of me to have your house hit by a plow sometime in your life so you know what to compare an earth quake too.

I didn't think plow trucks hitting houses was a common thing. :laughing:

8. smokin4by

smokin4by Member
    from indiana

maybe thats what happened to that ford with the meyer over in the pic forum. :) OUCH!!

9. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

I didnt feel anything. I was hitting 2ft drifts around the time it happened lol. I heard about iton the radio.

10. overtime

overtime Senior Member

I didn't feal it but wife was at work and they felt it. That's like the 3rd one in past 2 years I think

11. stumpslawncare

stumpslawncare Member
    from Indiana

Too many guys dropping thier plow at the same time! :nono:

12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Watch out for those new speed bumps in the parking lots.

13. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Passed through here (90 miles SW of Chicago) just before I left to plow this morning. Not as bad as the one a few years ago. More like a big gust of wind/rumble noise without the wind? House didn't move like the one a few years ago either, but I was about 10 miles from that one.

14. tattood_1

tattood_1 Member

A friend of mine from California said she has never felt one while in a car. Maybe the suspension asorbs it. Dont know for sure.

15. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

good think washington is busy w/ snow this would be a sure sign of global warming why else would their be an earthquake in Ill.

16. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Because our continents sit on tectonic plates and when they shift it cAuses an eqrthquake
    what I don't get is the word global warming, dc is getting colder and snowier not warmer and sunnier why they call it global warming?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  17. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

The warming trend is causing the arctic ice to melt and fall into the oceans therefore lowering the temps of the oceans over time. Resulting in colder climates etc. (not sure on the wording of the last part, only way I could put it) Do I believe in it? The globe has shown patterns of cooling and warming in the past but all of this is another can of worms.

18. smokin4by

smokin4by Member
    from indiana

what ended the last ice age??? global warming

19. JJSLandscape

JJSLandscape Member

it actually wasnt and earthquake, all the contractors decided to get together and drop there plows at the same time. impressive

20. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Free Margaritas...