1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing in school

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by John O., Jan 3, 2005.

1. John O.

John O. Member

I'am currently in high school, and for next winter i want to get into the plowing scene. Has anyone plowed while they where in high school? what types of problems did you run into? And did it work out?
  2. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

i plow during high school kinda i work for a local landscaping company. Not for myself works out pretty good its only about 10 mins from my school. So i usually go out plowing early in the morning or through the night then go to school then when schools out im out plowing again. The boss is nice and realizes that school comes first. I dont think that i could manage to run my own buissness and school because of being gone for 6-7 hours straight. But depends on your customers i guess.
  3. Mikelandscaping

Mikelandscaping Senior Member

I am also still in high school last year thank god. What I do is I plow during the night till prollay around 12 come home sleep get up around 4 go back out and hope school is cancelled. Good thing i have study halls first 2 periods lol
  4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

My brother plowed for my dad when he was in school, gave him a 4 hour route, worked out pretty good untill he started staying up late with his girlfriend and dad found him sitting, asleep at the wheel, at the end of a pass across the parking lot. truck was still running and in gear and he had no idea how long he had been there. Dad called him in sick to school and sent him home for a nap, he got a chewing later about staying out late.
  5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, I manage.
    I plow all residential, i have been lucky enough to have all plowable storms on weekends or during vacation. Its been a nice coincidence but i have found my self plowing on more off days then school days or would be schooldays if not for the storm. The small storms i can knock off fast all night, morning, before and after school etc. with sleep in between when time allows. My customers understand and i can ALWAYS be availible BEFORE peak commute times both morning and afternoon to have all drives clear by that time. If its any kind of major event that takes alot of work, school is closed anyways. Overall, i have never missed school because of plowing and i have never nopt been able to do my route because school was in the way. I can think of a few situations where it could be a problem, but its been fine so far, going on my 3rd season. :waving:
  6. MN_BR

MN_BR Member

I plowed for my dad all the way through high school, it worked out pretty good for both of us. I would get up early and start, then go to school, and dad would finish up. After school or in the evenings i would sometimes go and do cleanups, sidewalks etc. Of course I missed school a few times but no big deal.

I still do it now while im in college, and we've got plenty to keep us both going. payup
  7. f350dieselemt

f350dieselemt Member

Hs Plowing

i am in highschool now and i have my own landscaping business... i do 27 res. snow plow accounts and 12 commercial acounts... when u get a storm u take a "sick " day
  8. jglandscaping

jglandscaping Senior Member

Im still in school, have a landscaping business, have 22-24 residential accounts and have no problem doing them but I also have first period off all year and so far we have had 2 plowable events, Id rather work than go to school especially when I can make $750+ payup each time I go out and be done in as little as 4 hours, next year when I go to college my dad will be doing my route when Im not home, but Im only going an hour away at UNH :waving:
  9. DaHole

DaHole Junior Member
    from Wi

I started riding with my dads plow crews when I was 6 or 7. By 10 I was working the plow all night and by 12 I was running a truck myself in big parking lots. Never got to miss a day of school but was late a few times my senior year when it became clear that the first two classes of the day were passable even if I was not there. I would lose on sleep all the time. That is still an issue for me now. I only sleep 3 or 6 hours a night and don't even plow anymore. When it snows now I go play all night.
  10. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

I plowed clear through high school and since we only get 10-15 big storms a year, some which land on weekends, i'd just skip the day school or at least the morning until I got done. Had good luck with it.
  11. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

forget that i plowed in highschool would go out around 7 pm or whenever tyhe snow hit and id plow till school time me and my buddy would roll up to class in our carhartts and the teachers would be liek um why are you late and wed be like we wer eout late playing witht eh boys and our toys lol i love it let it snow CHICAGO
  12. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

and also wed would have no sleep and about 75 percent of the time we would drive outr trucks to school and leave to plow right after again
  13. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Ok students...... Back to the basics..... "Spell-check" is a wonderful tool on the computer.
  14. c.t. lawn care

c.t. lawn care Senior Member

Well i am still in high school and all my teachers know that i have my own business and they respect that. They have no problem with me not being there for a day or even half a day. I just get my assignments the next day and they all ask me if i made a lot of money. I have even had some of my teachers call me and have me plow them out of their house for school. I have talked to the principal and he has given me a few extra days that i can miss because i am a good student and he has never had any problems with my attendance. He has even helped me get some more business. So when there is a storm i just miss school if i need to.
  15. Hummerslawncare

Hummerslawncare Member
    from Mass.

I have plowed while in high school for the past 2 years and never had a problem. i have 2 trucks and 2 guys and myself with 80 accounts and 10 of which are my teacher. School is always canceled when I have to plow and if not i just get it done at night. :salute:
  16. John O.

John O. Member

For the guys who owned their own business plowing did you take on commercial jobs too? Or did you stick to the residential work?
  17. Mikelandscaping

Mikelandscaping Senior Member

This is my 4th year and ill im doing is residential but i have been offered a few commercial jobs.
  18. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

School comes first and I always make sure to get my work done, but come plowing season im 100% dedicated to my boss. He calls i go, I'm 18 so i can sign myself out or take the day off without a problem. I'm in High School.

19. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

20 yrs ago I plowed while in high school, had around 40 accounts , mostly residential with a couple small commercial, started around 2 am finished in time for school. If it was snowing bad and there was still school I would come down with snowitis, lol. Plowed both junior and senior years. Go for it.
  20. Soans89

Soans89 Junior Member

I'm new here and your thread was the first to catch my eye. I'm currently in high school and whenever it snows i'm behind the wheel plowing for my Father's company, best job i've ever had and best money i've ever made.

Nice meeting you all,