1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing in New Jersey? Should I?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by housedad, Oct 12, 2005.

1. housedad

housedad Junior Member

Hi everyone. My name is Bion.

I have recently purchased a Excursion 2005 V10 (I tow a travel trailer 32Ft.), and I was thinking of doing snowplowing. I have researched like mad about what changes to do to the truck to make it worthy, What plow to get, and talking to potential customers.

I know, some of you say don't do it to a newer Excursion, but that is what I have, and I could really use some extra cashflow. I figure (hoping?) if the machine is properly prepped and I am careful, I won't rattle it off its frame before I can get a different truck for plowing.

If I went with it, I would go to V code front (The snow spring for the F250), B code rears, Rancho 9000's, rear air bags, Landyot radius arms, and dedicated F250 17" rims and All-Terrain T/A® KO's just for winter driving. Add possibly a set of Timbrens for the front.

As far as plows, I like the looks of the Blizzard Speedwing 860 or the Snow-way 29-8 in Poly. It seems that the trip edge will put more strain on the frame of the truck. Chime in and let me know your thoughts.

Also, I would go through the SIMA course and exam.

Since I am still going throught the feasability study part of this whole affair, the BIG question is insurance. I live in Southern New Jersey, and I have absolutely no idea what rates are or where to go to price it.

NJPLOWMAN - If you read this, give me a few ideas if you would. It would be most appreciated.

There is a ton of work in this area, residential and commercial. But is it worth it in the end $$$$?

Thanks