1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing in Low Range

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mnnorthwoods, Dec 16, 2008.

1. mnnorthwoods

mnnorthwoods Junior Member

The Dodge dealer just called and said they made a last, final adjustment on the reverse band of my transmission. Only have 63,000 miles on the truck. He indicated it may last one day or one year. A reman transmission is $2,500. I think I will just pick the truck up and go for it and see if I can make it last.

He said if I plow in 4 Low this will help. Not sure I can deal with the low speed on some of the hills I plow. Any ideas on this recommendation.

I posted some of the detail in the Truck and Equipment Repair thread.

2. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Sorry to hear that your having tranny problems. It's unfortunate, but I've heard way to many dodge owners have problems with the tranny.

4-low would suck. High RPM's, crazy jerky shifts, and turning would definitively suck with all four wheels trying to move the truck, and no speed to speak of.

Call a junkyard and see if they have a low mileage tranny they've pulled.

3. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

three words "buy a ford" dodges are know for trannny problems

4. Kunker

Kunker Member

And Fords are know for 6.0/6.4 everything problems...every brand has some issues.

If you're going reman/rebuilt, look around at some of the diesel sites, see who does a rebuild meant for the power you put down and the strain of plowing, then throw on a big ass cooler. It'll cost more up front, but it'll save you money down the road. Or switch to a stick and get used to swapping clutches.

5. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

Dodge Chev or Ford, IMO I use 4 low anytime im plowing it makes life nicer for your transmission, sure its a little harder on the rest of the drivetrain u joints ect but they are cheaper

6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

LOL ok! This truck is 10 years old. It's not uncommon to replace a tranny after 10 years of work. :dizzy:

Yeah buy a Ford and you can have your truck in the shop half the time with the cab torn off so they can work on the engine. Sounds like a much better idea! LOLOL

7. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

4-lo is just fine at 30 mph. Rough guessing on common variables put you at 3500 rpm @ 30 mph.

8. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Dude how fast are you going? Shouldn't really be plowing any faster than you can go in low range anyway. Just for the record I plow in low range quite a bit.

9. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

If that is true, why is my friend putting a new trani in his Ford that only has 120,000 miles? Oh ya he has never had a plow on this truck either.

I allways plow in low it's much eisear on the trani JMO.

10. Snow-Con

Snow-Con Member

Why would you plow in 4-Lo? Sorry, I just don't get it. I know people who plow in 2 until they need a little extra traction, 4-Lo just seems overkill.

???

11. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Exactly. It is not necessary. What you DO want to do though, is keep the tranny in low gear while pushing. This keeps the tranny from shifting (which is when there is wear on the clutches. In low 1, with the transfer case in 4H, you will run enough rpms to keep the fluid pumping well, and it will give you a decent forward speed. I sure wouldn't use low as it is totally unnecessary. Your truck will hve more than enough traction to push what you need in 4H.

12. mnnorthwoods

mnnorthwoods Junior Member

Thanks for all of the input. I have a lot to think about. I plow a 2 mile logging road with woods right up to the road edge. The road is built along the top of a rock ridge with two really steep hills. I do plow at 20-25MPH just to move the snow over the banks and into the woods. I have never tried plowing in 4L so I'm not sure what 20-25MPH will feel like with the truck.