1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing in low range

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by 18lmslcsr, Dec 9, 2007.

1. 18lmslcsr

18lmslcsr Senior Member
    from WI.

Is it acceptable practice for the tj with a manual trans to plow in low range in 1st gear?
    I've tried both 1st and 2nd and was wondering which would be recommended?
    High range is a bit to swift for my taste!

C.:dizzy:

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You will find your self braking traction from the excess torque using Lo and 1st.(spinning out)
    You need to use momentum and the weight of your vehicle to move any real snow load.

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

OK I will disagree with snowfarmer Momentum and (what weight its a jeep) work but lead to potential problems. IE the jeep suddenly uses the angled blade as a rudder and you veer off. not much of a problem at 5 - 7 MPH BIG problem at 15 MPH. What you need is traction get the BEST snow tires. IE Blizzak or similar from other brand.

In answer to your question using low range OK its better than slipping the clutch to slow down.

4. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Depends on how much snow and how heavy it is.........I use an S10 Blazer....and the angled blade hitting a bank can really throw it. Traction is the key with my truck...it just doesn't have the weight.

5. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

lol,,

If you have no weight and you are using low range you will be spinning your tires... and with weight you will be putting unnecessary strain on your drive line and spinning tires.
    Momentum yup you have it at 5mph too....

You will brake traction releasing that clutch trying to push a pile
    no matter what tires you are using.

Spinning is hard on your drive train expressly if a tire should hook up you could break u-joints or worse.

You are exerting a lot of torque in Lo& 1st or 2nd.
    You can twist axles too.

I never slip a clutch to slow down I use the brakes..
    do not slip your clutch....keep your foot off of it unless you are stopping or shifting.

Sure, you can plow in any gear you want but realize there are consequences.

Every time your jeep jerks or spins a tire in lo range you are stressing your Jeeps drive line more than you need to be.

You will find you can plow more efficiently in hi & 1st.....

I plowed with a jeep for a while too....;)

6. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

I only use low range on a few of the very "challenging" drives I have that are very steep. I never plow in lo 1st...to slow, but 2nd is doable. The reason why I plow in lo is so that I can have as much control as possible and I the tires start spinning I'll be able to correct immediately without ending up in the woods off the side of somebodies drive a 3am. Jeeps are a tool, just like anything else you plow with. Use each tool correctly and they will serve a particular purpose well. I have never had a problem with plowing snow in drives (two passes wide), in fact I have a older Fisher plow with defector and have watched the snow come right over the top because it was so deep. If it is a heavy, wet snow, then plow with it. Anything over 8" we expect AND charge our customers to plow twice. 6" of Ice/sleet like we had last year....not a job for a Jeep :nono:

7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i like the pro comp muds i also would put some 50 pound bags of salt and sand in there maybe 200 or 300 lbs

8. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Yes, always use low range with your jeep when plowing. The idea is NOT to slip your clutch at start up, it is to match the speed of the vehicle with the load you are pushing.

With my older two stick transfer cases, I start off in low range, first gear. On a long run you can go first gear, second gear, then double clutch the old two stick transfer cases and upshift the transfer case to high to the end of the run in second gear, high range.

I have never burned out a clutch in the winter plowing. I set the speed range of the Jeep using the gears based on the load I am pushing. Do not slip your clutch to start, pick your gear to give you a slow start and then upshift as you get going. It is just like selecting the correct gear on a farm tractor when you are on a farm.

9. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

NEVER plow in low range . You;ll find yourself in the tranny shop.
    Unless you flush your trans and fill it w/ Boss plow oil. ( says the snofarm hand)
    eee eye eeeee eye oh.... must be that fertilizer up yonder . eh?

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Who is this loon?

11. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

off topic again bash...behave son

12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

flag on the play.
    penalties are.

1. Tried to add something of substance, didn't, but posted anyway remove 5 posts

2. Nothing to add but posted anyway remove 10 posts

3. Posted just to be an arse remove 15 posts

13. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Maybe, the elevation (Location: PHILLY PA Elevation ,45 ft.) is too high....not enough oxygen to the brain

14. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

hmmmmmmmmmmm another sima member? runfordaborder?

15. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

-2ft even better;)

16. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

We've had 2 x 16" storms in 24 hrs so far this yr, 4 L in all vehicles seems to work well for me.

17. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

I'd definitely plow in low range in a Jeep. A light weight vehicle like a jeep is going to have a light duty clutch and starting and stopping as much as you do when plowing, especially if your reverse is even higher than first like it usually, will be hard on the clutch. Low range doubles the torque after the clutch and therefore requires half the power (at the clutch) to move your vehicle as high range. You may find low range, 2nd gear is a comprimise, and it would be ok to start off in that too, for instance if you know you're going to make a long run or want a little extra speed, this will be similar to 1st high and won't help out your clutch as much.

Also note, this will not be any harder on the rest of the drivetrain than high range except in very odd cases where you happen to have a lot of traction and a lot of load (snow bank) and you don't know it's happening so you are still on the throttle. This will not happen very often and as long as your are not mashing the gas you won't break anything. In normal operating conditions the axles, gears, and driveshafts are all taking the same load in high or low, low just has the potential to deliver more torque, given the position of the gas pedal.

18. magik235

magik235 Senior Member

I usually plow in low range first gear.
    1971 CJ5 with a 225 CID odd-fire V6 with HEI ignition, Heddman headers, 390 Holley 4 barrell, FlowKooler high capacity waterpump, 100 amp Proform alternator, Optima battery, T14 3 speed transmission, Dana 18 transfer case, Dana 44 rear axle and a Dana 27 in front.

19. tuna

tuna Senior Member

I plow with an 89 yj with a 258,ax 15 ,307 gears and a 4-1 tera low t-case.I run 31 inch pro comp muds and I plow in low range 2nd gear.1st is to low with the 4-1 t-case and with the 31`s on 307 gears 1st in high range is to high.

20. Dodge350

Dodge350 Junior Member

I have to agree with snofarmer. I had a 81' CJ5 with a GM151 4 cyl., 4 speed with a Dana 300 TC I always plowed in 4 hi, 4 lo was to slow and I couldn't get the snow to windrow very well if it was over 5" of snow. The jeep needs the momentum and speed of 4-hi. I plowed with this jeep for years and never slipped a clutch or got spun around by a object or snow bank. You just need to use your head with a jeep and not take such big bites as you do with a Pick-up.:waving: