1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing In Lake Effect Areas?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RONK, Jan 26, 2008.

1. RONK

RONK Senior Member
    from NJ

For the guys that plow in the lake effect areas,is there a good deal of competition?It seems like it might be a plowers paradise.
  2. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Everyone and their brother has a plow in lake effect areas, at least thats how it is in NE ohio.
  3. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

every person who has four wheel drive thinks they can plow.
  4. Belleaire Care

Belleaire Care Member

Plowing in Lake Effect areas

Same here in the lee of Georgian Bay. Plenty of loaders and trucks with plows on.... seems like more each year. (The population is ever increasing, new sub-divisions going up like mushrooms)

Even saw a Hummer in town sporting a new straight blade last week.
  5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Yeah everything around here has a plow on it. I saw a minivan pulling a small trailer with a snowblower on it doing drives:dizzy: Residential snowplowing around here is in the dumps. So many guys have driven the prices so far into the ground, I am almost ashamed to even say I do resi's here. But it is pretty easy to take a quick look and see who the real pros are and who the hacks are. Been doing snow here in Lake County for 6 years now. It hasnt gotten much better, only worse. When progressive laid off like 800 people, I said well there are 500 new landscapers/snowplowers now:gunsfiring: It seems like with every major corporate layoff, there is always a new influx of scapers/plowers into the area
  6. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

How about in lee of Georgian Bay? LOL:dizzy:
  7. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

ya tom times r tough and everybody keeps killing us. man u wouldnt believe how many windrows i drove threw the other day from guys pushin it across the street we didnt even get that much snow
  8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Little different here a lot of guys plow but it's hard for them to get the commercial work. Most companies like the same company plowing them every year. Even residential drives the price is going up.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

It seems like that around here, but they pretty much stay away from the commercail scene, and do residentials. Like there personal driveway, and maybe families.
  10. more plows but fewer survive with fuel at 85cents higher per gal.
    Some still work cheap and lose money.
    We lose a job once in awhile but we may get it back later.

The north has limited commercial contracts and there are only a few geared to do them.
    Very few sanders and salters -- mostly for two lane roads for the resorts
    We dont sand and salt most commercial lots up here.
    But, I saw Boyne mountain resort had an amazing amount of sand and really well
    done by some good contractor.

Residential work is usually a competition of respect for other plowers.
    We often call another driver and tell him if he doesnt know a drive needs attention.
    Snow fall varies so much in as little as a half a mile and sometimes we dont know
    where the needs are.

And then, I lost a drive I was doing for family friend for free today. To a guy who will
    get paid. They never said a word to me. And that is another story--isnt it ??

last week paper said we were over 90inches and we have plowed twice since then.
    Fairbanks was really cold today so we will see more within a week.
  11. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i am also assuming that the commercial companys want full liability and work comp insurance...i'm not sure residential guys could justify the cost
  12. big bird

big bird Senior Member

Ive Ben plowing the same lots for the last 6 years and a guy i work with had it before me for a long time that just shows how commercial work is around here payuppayup
  13. RONK

RONK Senior Member
    from NJ

Avitare,sorry to go off topic,I'm interested in learning more about your Bronco and what you use on it,I've read your back posts and would like more info,if you would please(no PM info for you),thanks sir.
    Thanks for all the feedback.It seems with all the snow even with competition you can still make a living?
  14. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 Senior Member

The other prob w/ lake effect ares is they were calling for 2-8" the other night. Well e got
    1" an 1/2 county over got 10". Always a guess for us as to what way the wind will bring across the lake.:dizzy: