1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing in high range?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NickSnow&Mow, Jul 13, 2014.

1. NickSnow&Mow

NickSnow&Mow Senior Member

Hey guys im 14 and have only been using a tractor for one year so i am far from a vetran. I have a johndeere 3032E 30HP 4x4 compact utility tractor with a rear blower and im wondering if its unhealthy for the tractor to blow in high range. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

High range is fine.

/thread

3. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

If the engine starts lugging, go to a lower range.

With a blower, you want the engine running as fast and as smooth as possible in order to keep the chute from clogging.

4. NickSnow&Mow

So it doesnt matter as long as throttle is high and im not bogging down? Just because i do a lot of road driving(cant drive dads truck everywhere).

5. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

You don't need to have the rpms high when you're just driving around. I was talking about when you're actually blowing snow.

6. NickSnow&Mow

Yea i understand, i still rev it high on the road i wanna go the full 20kmh!?.

7. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

How fast can you really go while actually blowing snow? Is high range even necessary? Also figure that added load of trying to blow snow while in high range. If low range is capable of moving faster than the blower can chew through the snow why bother with high? By all means have at it when just traveling. Unless for some reason you are blowing the streets between accounts. And being 14 you probably should not drive dad's truck at all.

8. NickSnow&Mow

you're right i probably shouldnt :nono:. it was kind of a dumb question but i just want to know if its worth switching to low every time.