1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing in hi speed (bobcat S300)

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by rob_cook2001, Oct 31, 2009.

1. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I was just wondering who all plows in high range with there 2speed machines. When pushing alot of snow I run in low, but for windrowing I run highrange. The Mechanics at Bobcat seam to think it will trash the Drive motors. What does everyone think? I am only running a 8ft plow now but will be switching to a blizzard 8611ss or bobcat 10ft pusher before the next storm.
    Thanks for your input.
  2. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

We plow in hi speed, no problems...yet. Knock on wood. We never bothered to ask the guys at John Deere what they think, we just do it. We run a 7' plow with side plates, and two 8' pushers.

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I am using a 100" snow bucket on my A300. I plow in hi range without any trouble. When first starting out you can hear (what I interpret to be) some drive chain noises. Once you get to speed it makes no noise. It does this every time. It doesn't matter if you are pushing or not. I think a good operator can use his/her judgment to determine the stresses being put on the machine, and adjust technique accordingly. If you are bogging or lugging the machine, down shift to get a better gear ratio. If you are pushing a heavy load, start out in low and shift up once you get to speed. This feels less stressful (to me at least) than starting out in high. I am not running a 10' pusher or blade. For the 100" bucket the machine handles it (in hi range) easily. We have been plowing this way for (2) seasons now with no issues. The last time I checked the hour meter was around 2,000 hours.
  4. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

sounds good, and you ride a KTM you must have a idea what your talking about lol.
    Happen to have a pic of the bobcat with the snow bucket?
  5. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I run in HI speed 99% of the time with my S250 also. I feel the machines are built for this for the most part. Although, I'm sure it's harder on the machine than plowing in low, I feel the productivity far outways the extra wear & tear on the machine. Also agree with Dgodgr that the operator has to use some discression, especially when the conditions allow for excellent traction. I would also say that snow work is some of the lightest abuse that we put our machines thru on a yearly basis, as I'm sure that's the case with many here.
  6. grsp

grsp Member
    from indiana

our bobcat dealer recommended that we shift the machine when plowing. what I mean is to always start in low gear then simply shift into high gear when you reach around 5 mph. down shift when you approach the pile and make your turn.

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Bobcat w/snow bucket

I uploaded some pics today. I put them in my album (all I could figure out) so take a look. Bucket is not attached in the photos (sorry don't take many pictures while plowing-I'm always in a hurry) but is parked behind it with the conventional bucket attached. I may post some dirt bike pics soon as well.
  8. grosser397

grosser397 Senior Member

anyone looking for a ktm? i have a 144 with ten hours i wanna sell