1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing in float?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by BigBoyPlowin, Feb 9, 2013.

1. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

Call me dumb but it seems i'm going through my cutting edge on my truck fast! Like less than a season. I replaced it last year.. And we had like 2 pushes. I called the dealer and they say i should be plowing in float... I currently just drop the blade and go..

any suggestions? what do you guys do??
  2. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

When plowing is the back lighting on your controller green or red?

Should be red which is float mode. That way the blade follows the contour of the ground as you go. Just the weight of the blade is causing the cutting action.

I guess I would have asked what kind of controller you have?
  3. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Sounds like you do not use shoe's on your plow ?
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like very little snow on the ground,Cutting edge will burn out faster .
  5. BigBoyPlowin

Shoes are for the birds... havent used then on any of my plows in sooooo long! Sold a few to my neighbor for boat anchors. :laughing:

We plow a couple Home owner assos. at 1/4 inch sometimes......
    So that very well could be why too..

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Do they wear evenly or does the inside or outside wear more than the other?
  7. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

numerous 1/4 inch pushes will burn them off quick then buddy of mine did a local airport for a while and fried a set of edges and we did the same amount of plowing but mine was all in 2 inches or more
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Whether you plow in float or not has no impact on cutting edge life. But conditions certainly will as others have mentioned.
  9. BigBoyPlowin

yeah.... and its evenly wore down pretty much
  10. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

A few years back I was at a show and had the oportunity to speak with a manufacturer about cutting edge wear on a winged plow. He deffered me to what he said was an actual egineer of the plow. The "engineer " told me that the "....practice of running without shoes dramatically increases cutting edge wear especially given the weight of todays plows." And it makes sense if you think about weight dispersal and removing it from the edge with the shoes. We all do it though because we believe it to give us a better scrape.
  11. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

It depends on the asphalt also. They put that asphalt that they cover with pea stone on half of the roads that I do. The stuff is like sand paper. I only get two storms out of a cutting edge now. Went threw a brand new one on this last storm. Only lasted 36 hours. Not totally gone but pretty close. That's with a strait blade.
  12. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Are we talking about steel edges here?

I have my shoes adjusted so the edge is about 1/8" off the black top. It still touches most of the time, but a good share of the plow's weight is on the shoes.
  13. BigBoyPlowin

Yeah the subs we do at like 1/4" are smooth asphalt. Then my other ones are the concrete sand paper like subs.... I took off the shoes because i could never scrape as well with them on. I like scraping as far down as possible as We tend to use less material if any this way.

Yes I use steel cutting edges... $250 a wing!

If i go through cutting edges on my plow with 500 pounds of down pressure in half a season, Man the Road commission must change their belly blades like every storm!
  14. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

You paying 250 per side 500 for a V plow WoW thats crazy
    Glad I make my own for 150 for both sides
    I dont run shoes on my plows
  15. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't use the shoes either. My commercial accounts like it scraped as low as possible, so I always plow in float mode - red color on the controller.

I don't do any salt work at all around here.
  16. BigBoyPlowin

Yupp just paid $480 for the cutting edge...
    Going to try plowing in float.. maybe that will be better...
  17. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

well no doubt shoes will extend the life of the plow...

I have never used shoes, I recently bought a slightly used plow that came with shoes on it. they looked to be setup just right so i decided to give them a try. On perfectly flat surfaces they were un-noticeable. But then I did some drives that had slightly rounded slopes to them, or not flat side to side and in both cases they left 1/4"+ of snow and looked like ****. they came off right away. If I had nothing but brand new perfectly flat lots to plow, id use them, but I dont so Ill just deal with more frequent edge replacement.

also I cant really see float/non-float making much difference, I always use float, dont know why you wouldnt?
  18. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

Why would you plow 1/4"?
  19. BigBoyPlowin

High end Residential Community... BIG Bucks.
  20. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Some plows have three modes; float, hold, and DOWN PRESSURE. For those with down pressure, plowing forward while putting the truck's weight onto the plow will certainly eat edges a lot faster than just leaving gravity to it.