1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing in different 4wheel ranges

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Nailit1954, Dec 13, 2003.

1. Nailit1954

Nailit1954 Senior Member
    from ma.

I 't has recently dawned on me that I should me using different rangers of 4wheel on different storms. After plowing this lastest 20''of heavy wet snow I should be doing It in 4low drive, other storms in 4wheel high but in drive 1 has anyone have any input on this subject?
    Thankyou
    Nailiit:drinkup:

2. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

i use low almost all the time. it revs higher and goes slower and burns more gas but less wear and tear. i went thru 2 clutches so i have my reasons.

3. capital

capital Senior Member

We plow in 4 hi when needed. on large lots most of the trucks run in 2 wheel drive but have alot of weight in the back to keep them from bucking.

4. VThick

VThick Junior Member
    from Vermont

when its light and fluffy I pile it up in 4 high then shift to 4 low to bank it. IF it's a heavy now I only use 4 low it takes more time but it's easyer on the truck.That my plan of attack.

5. Nailit1954

Nailit1954 Senior Member
    from ma.

Thanks for your replies!
    My reasoning is trying to take the work off my tranny.I already burnt it up once!
    Nailit:nod:

6. gpin

gpin Senior Member

I do commercial office lots and a few driveways for friends, building owners, property managers. We plow almost non-stop every 3 inches. In 2 wh dr when possible. It takes longer but is much easier on the equipment. A few hours of labor are nothing compared to a transmission, transfer case or a rear. I've been doing it for 20 years and this has worked well. Once in a while I'll get flagged down by a homeowner at the end a storm and if it's more than 8", I'll pass. It's not worth $50 to blow up your equipment.

7. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Plowing in low will help with battery drainage, higher rpms will output more from the alt.

8. rusty gmc

rusty gmc Junior Member
    from maine

what gear depends on ,of course,snow conditions and length of the push. my favorite with an automatic is low range with the shifter in 2nd gear. this allows the truck to get speed up and hold the motor in its real powerband,around 3000 rpm. it may sound like a lot of rpm's but this is where most engines make power. on fords the auto trans will start off IN second gear if you put the shifter there,so you will want to shift those trucks manually. leaving the shifter in D or OD will let the tranny shift too soon in low range back and forth between forward gears,thus overheating the trans and cooking it. 4 or 5 speed trucks are best left in hi-range and work best between 1st and 2nd gear. i only use low-range on my stick truck when doing short drives or backing up hills,ditches,tight turn-arounds,etc. its easier on the clutch.but this is just what works well for me.play around a little with your combo to see where your truck makes"push" power. it sucks to see snow moving 20 ft ahead of you and realize you are in the wrong gear!!:eek: