1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing in Denver?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Flyboy421, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Flyboy421

Flyboy421 Junior Member

Hello all.
    I am from the Denver area and am seriously considering plowing as a part time venture. Snowfall amounts don't seem like they are stacking up like they used to. Last year we had 60". Of course, who knows what each year will bring.

Using last years' snowfall and estimating a 3" trigger, this translates to approximately 20 plowing events for the season. However, as I read the the threads on this site, it seems that residentials may be a bit of a pain wanting only a push at the end of a storm which could diminish profitability. I have roughly calculated some figures using a 3" trigger, 20 plowing events, 20 residentials @ $30. These figures translate to $12,000 for the season. This strikes me as low, especially when figuring operating costs, insurance, maintenance, etc. Am I missing something here?

Not having experience here I have no real way measuring what's realistic. Perhaps 20 customers is too few or that $30 is too little. As another thought, maybe these figures are pretty accurate but the actual snowfall amount does not make a viable opportunity. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks Guys.

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

your figures are ok you can do the 30 homes in two or three hours ....so you may justify more if you want to
  3. Flyboy421

Flyboy421 Junior Member

I appreciate your feedback obryan. Can you seriously push 30 resi's in 3 hours? This is 1 every 6 minutes. Because I am new to the biz, I have nothing to really measure from. All I can really do for the moment is absorb information from you experienced fellers.

Another question I have is whether anyone plows typical urban 2 car driveways of say 16' x 30'. I can honestly say I don't recall any of the folks on our street getting plowed out. Everyone shovels. Are most residential jobs done by you generally longer drives? I suspect so.

Thanks for the info.

Westminster, CO
  4. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I plow all diferent size of drives from 8x25 to 12x1/2 mi long drives. My min is $30 and goes up pending the drive. I think 20 drives are a good starter for a newbe and 6k to 7k profit( after plow insurance) for 12 storms at about 40 to 50 total hrs . I would say that is a good profit for the first year.