1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing in between garages...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Up North, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Up North

Up North Senior Member

I have an apartment complex where the driveway runs between two garages then into a parking lot. One garage to the west one to the east. I take 2 or 3 swaths next to each garage and angle the snow towards the middle then start pushing it straight out into the lot, but of course I always get a snow trail from both sides of the plow. Seems like it takes an awful lot of pushes to get it all cleared out. Is there a trick I'm missing or an idea someone may have that'll cut down on the number of runs I have to make between these garages? Or is that just the way it is for everyone that doesn't run a V-plow or wings? Just have a straight blade here. Thanks.

2. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

a buddy of mine has a place just like you describe, but his garages are closer together, more like 2 passes maximum. What i'm wondering is, it seems it would be better to push it all over to one side and pin it against one of the garages (obviously without letting your blade touch the garage). Seems that would keep the spill off down, and you could effectively push the snow forward with the blade angled toward the garage it would not have run off and it would pin the snow against the garage. Would that work or not?
  3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I would straight blade in the middle first working towards the garages. This will keep more snow on the blade allowing it to only fall off one side. Having said that, that is not what I would do because I have sides on my plow but this is what you could try. Just make sure to not damage the doors. Especially if they are the junk we have up here. Compressed cardboard.
  4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Wings or a V Buck. I had the same problem.
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Thats right Buck, More passes or you get some wings or a V plow.
    You never want to push snow up against a garage... :dizzy:
  6. Up North

Up North Senior Member

I was afraid of that. Oh well, guess I'll have to deal with it until I can upgrade to a 3/4 ton and V-plow or 810. The garages on the west already have enough snow up against them due to the drifting caused by snow blowing off the roof. I don't think I want to push more snow up against them, plus it just creates more work for the tenants to get their cars out or in. I can get within 6-8 inches of the garages but really have to keep a close eye on the blade so I don't catch a door, same with my mirror.

7. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Buck I didn't realize that the doors faced toward each other. Thats different. I was picturing like the place we do, where the doors both face north and you plow between the sides of them. They are brick walled at this place i am thinking of, and you could easily pin the snow between the wall and the blade and therefore push it out into the open area.

I wasn't being stupid in suggesting such a dumb thing, just different circumstances sorry for the confusion.
  8. Up North

Up North Senior Member

No biggie. I really didn't say that the doors were facing each other anyway.

9. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I would look at some wings. Otherwise you gota do what you are doing. If it was solid I would use the above "push it against the wall" method.
  10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Your not missing anything,sometimes you just have to keep pushing till it's all gone. That's why V's and wings were invented. Having the doors there make it much more difficult.