1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing in Alaska!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Nolimit124, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Nolimit124

Nolimit124 Member

Hey guys i was looking to move up to alaska to either ancorage,Juno, or Kodiak or smaller towns near the major cities. I was just curious how the plowing was up there, and If it would be worth it to move up there to open a plowing company. I got offered a job up there, but my dream has been to open a plowing company so i was thinking about moving up there in August to pursue my goals. Just curios on a few points-

How much snow you get usually per season
    how much money can be made
    do piles get too hi for snow so would i need a front end loader or bobcat?
    hows the competition?
    are there alot of new contracts i could get up there?
    Alot of subcontractors?

any help would be greatly apprecaited

You can email me at Nolimit124@msn.com also if you want.

Any help would be greatly apprecaited
  2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

you wont make any money up there. everybody drives snowmobiles around. You need to be in a lake effect area like east cleveland and western ny to make some real money.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Is that a put down? :realmad: So we get a little snow now and then!

Hope you like flying a lot that's the only way to get around up there. Oh ya, I hope you like the cold. -40 for the high can't be fun!

Find Alaska Boss he lives up there and can give you info.
  4. wwwplowkingca

wwwplowkingca Junior Member

The last 2 people are 100% right. also people in AK know how to drive in the snow because if you dont you have a snowmachine (polaris 1100)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  5. railreferman

railreferman Junior Member

we have enough people up here that are SOURDOUGHS ( sour of alaska and not dough to get out ) not alot of snow this year yet and most people have a means to move the snow. kodiak is more rain than snow juneau is the same as kodiak except this year they got a butload of snow.and their is a lot of plow companies.
  6. Precedence

Precedence Senior Member

7. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

I have been up there for vacation a while back.
    Valdez is supposed to get 30' a season.....
    You are the Judge how you do with plowing!