1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing in 4 Low--Not sure why?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Sweetpete, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Hey Guys: Quick thought...last nite I finally got a chance to go out and push a good sized p-lot that I do "pro bono".

Anyways, I had read before (somewhere) that it's a good idea to use 4lo to keep the tranny temp down and less wear and tear on the tranny. So I tried it for a little while.

Now, even though I liked the high torque and hardly needed to use the breaks at all, there was one drawback.....I felt like I couldn't go over 10 mph.

So, with that being said, do any of you pros use 4lo when pushing a big p-lot? or do you just use 4hi and keep your speed up so as to get done quicker?

Keep in mind, I do this lot for free, so time was NOT of the essence. There are 4 light poles in the middle of the lot all SCREAMING: "HIT ME, HIT ME" so I always take my time.

But 4lo was just way too slow, in my opinion. Let me know what you think.
    Thanx in advance!!:waving:
  2. Tri-County INC.

Tri-County INC. Member

that is true about the temps and wear and tear, however you are right over 10mph not likly, we rarly use 4lo just because it is so slow however if you run a heavy duty tranny cooler and have fresh fluid you should be ok in 4high.
    only use it one lot that we just got this year, actually.
  3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Try 4H in 1st gear. You basically end up with the same effect except you can go faster.
  4. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Use 4 hi-- next storm check how hot the cooler is(if you don't have a gauge)---if you cant keep your hand on it for like 3 sec--your too hot and should look into a new cooler or flush job and put in synthetic or just don't plow the free bee!--Or maybe get them to pay--if you break being a nice guy will they pay for repairs? Just a thought good luck

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

very rarely do i use 4wl your so geared down it takes forever to back up
    i did use 4wl to open up my inlaws drive 18" of powder since i couldnt get in
    in 4wh.

6. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

There's no reason to plow in 4low. In fact, if you have a good amount of ballast in your truck, you can plow in 2wd quite often depending upon the amount of snow you're pushing and how wet it is. I plow with the storm and plow in 2wd quite often. If I'm not in 2wd, I'm in 4high.
  7. ChloMag

ChloMag Member

No on 4Lo

I have never used 4Lo when plowing. In fact the only time I use it is off-road, downhill, with good traction or when pulling a load for a short distance.

I have a Chevy 2500HD with a Blizzard 810. I carry 900lbs of ballast plus a Buyers low profile salt spreader. The spreader is empty unless I need to spread salt. I have Nokian tires. They are outstanding for traction. I am sure the ballast helps.

Most of my plowing is accomplished in 2WD. If I need a boost for stacking, I pull it into 4HI. I put it back into 2WD ASAP if for no other reason than turning radius. I don't use 4WD unless I need it.

In my opinion 4Lo is not necessary for most plowing scenarios.

8. DJC

DJC Senior Member

In my 14 years of plowing I have never used 4 Low for plowing.prsport
  9. westwind

westwind Member

Trucks are always in 4hi unless pushing an extremely large pile, or going up steep grades. On the average, in the winter, i'd say our trucks go into 4low once.
  10. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

4low once in the blizzard 28.9 inches
  11. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I learned from an oldtimer transmission rebuilder to plow in 4 low. I tried it and watching the temp gauge you can definitely see the difference. However, I only used it on really technical difficult dirt driveways, anywhere else and I didnt need it. Keep in mind that the lack of airflow at slow speeds is what causes the heat to build up. I also had an electric fan to switch on when it started to climb. But for a parking lot you shouldnt need low, it takes too long and you end up getting impatient and hammering on it. Probably use more fuel in 3rd gear low range than 1st or 2nd high range, because the rpms are higher. This is my first winter plowing with the truck I have now, and I have yet to use low or even bother with an aftermarket fan, because I can't get the trans temp gauge up over 180 no matter how hard I work it. The 1 ton towing package has an enormous cooling system, my factory trans cooler is way better than the big aftermarket ones I used in my old 3/4 tons. I do nearly all my plowing in 2wd, 4wd is just for when it gets really slippery.