1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing in 2wd with a duelly F350

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by amarino, Dec 30, 2005.

1. amarino

amarino Junior Member

I just bought a 87 F350 duelly dump truck. Mechanic told me the front ujoints are really worn, like BAD. We may get a storm sunday so I may need to plow 32 driveways. I wonder if I will have enough traction to plow in 2wd cause it has duel rear wheels. Dont want to use 4wd and risk breaking something.

2. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

i run f 250 and f 350 both single . I put it in 4 4 2 times this year only because i was on a sheet of ice

3. BayviewLawn

BayviewLawn Member

where in the northeast are tehey predicting a storm?

and iv plowed in 2wd with my dually dump truck many times.a little weight in back nevere hurts

4. The Beastmaster

The Beastmaster Junior Member

using only 2 wd

Just make sure the tires are up to snuff with good tread. Also throw several hundred pounds in the bed. The more weight the better and make sure it is over the rear wheels or a little further back. Just in case have a tow strap and a set of chains too. Good luck and hope you make a lot money.

5. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

to use 2wheel drive exclusivly, you gotta load that b*tch down, and have aggressive tires. If you don't salt I'd just get any dense material like sand or topsoil, and put about a half ton in there. With enough weight you'll be unstoppable. a couple hundred pounds ain't gonna do it.

6. MD Power Plow

MD Power Plow Senior Member

I do all my plowing in 2 WD and only use 4WD when I need it my truck is front heavy with the Blizzard so I keep a Min. 400 lbs in the bed.:nod:

7. selser420

selser420 Member

I spent a few winters driving a 2wd F350 dually dump. Without weight in the back it kinda sucked, but if the spreader was full it was ok. Like Jpocket said, a few hundred pounds aint gonna cut it. We usually had 4000lbs of salt in ours. We had fairly aggressive tires on it which helped. I got it into many hairy situations pushing resis, but only had to be pulled out once in 4 winters!

8. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I put 2 tons of sand and salt in the bed of my F-350 dump. Only time I need 4x4 is to get out of my driveway.

9. foyboy41

foyboy41 Member

good tires and about 800 to 1000 lbs over the rear tires you will be fine...

10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

And don;t be afraid to use the 4x4 IF you need it. So what if it breaks? You go back to 2wd, but it may be necessary for a drive or two. I ran that way one storm once- jount in my front shaft was about to fall apart- snow was horrible- needed 4x4 for half of my clients. I ran 4x4 in the drive with the blade on the ground and 2wd sliding all over the road with the blade up. Got me through where I needed.

11. Robber80

Robber80 Member
    from Vermont

justme- His ball joints are worn. so if it breaks his front wheel could fall off, steering knuckle and all. so by using 2wd it takes torque off of the ball joints. thats why he is running 2wd.

12. Rappa

Rappa Member

I don't know man, my dually 2wd would never fly doing driveways. I use it to plow for the state on route 93. That's about it. Driving straight on flat clean roads. If I had to push piles and backup I don't know how useful it would be. I have 1500 lbs of weight in it and it won't plow my driveway if there is any hard pack or ice under the snow. Tires are new. I would be hesitant to use it if it were exclusively 2wd. But you have the option of putting it in 4wd if you get in a boney situation so I would say go for it I guess...

13. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Just fix them. Maybe 2 hrs per side. If you break the u joint you can snap the axle as well.

14. Robber80

Robber80 Member
    from Vermont

oh, my bad, i thought he said ball joints. yes i could brake a shaft if a u joint goes.

15. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

When I plow with my F-450 its in 2WD excepting for the worst of times, normally I also have a 2yd sander full of salt or sand to wieght down the rear and damn good tires. Most of the time its fine...best of luck

SD-Dave

16. ChEc0

ChEc0 Member

I used to plow roads with a f-350 dually dump 2wd toss some sand in the back and never had a problem

17. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Did that on the Dana 60 a few years ago. LF joint broke while plowing (cheezy non-greasable joints suck) and tore the yokes apart on the axle shafts. Parts were over $600. Joint was like $80 alone... sure beats breaking the shafts!

18. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I broke a front axleshaft u-joint once, it allowed the yoke to drop down far enough that it contacted the top of the lower balljoint, locked that wheel up tight. For some odd reason it broke leaving my driveway (to go plow) and I was only going a couple mph. Hate to think what would have happened going faster. Unlocked the hubs and plowed my route in 2wd. I wasn't even in 4wd when it happened, but the hubs were locked. I'm sure it must have broke the last time I had plowed, but just didnt fall apart until later.