1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing HOA roads-pricing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Doctr-k, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Doctr-k

Doctr-k Junior Member
    from MO

Hello everyone, I’m a new user here but have spent some time reading posts. This is my first time to add in. I‘ve been approached by my HOA to plow and salt our roads and am not too sure how to go about giving a proposal. I have a Fisher 7.5 on a F-150 and a Buyers tailgate spreader that will hold about 500# of salt, sand, or melt. My road is gravel and not maintained; that’s why I have the plow. Our neighborhood is in the county - no curbs and lots of open room to put snow. Each home lot is about 5-10 acres so there is a lot of room between homes.

Here is what we have:

Paved roads are two lanes of traffic and are @ 2 miles (one-way), one moderate hill .2 mile, the rest is rolling terrain
    2 turnarounds on paved roads - 60ft or so diameter - lots of room to put snow
    3 gravel roads at @ .2 mile each, one is a loop, other two have turnarounds about same as above
    Total of about 2.5 miles of roads one-way
    Salting/sanding the paved hill and a couple of shaded spots along the road

I live here and pay dues, so there is personal incentive to have clean roads as well, however, I don’t want to be taken advantage of just because I have a plow.
    I was thinking either by the mile or by the hour with a minimum for my time. I’ve seen other posts suggesting $100 - $130 per lane mile on a 2” trigger.

I was thinking about $100 per mile and maybe another $100 for the salting plus materials. That should cover time and gas going to get the materials, setup, etc.

Hourly - what about $100 an hour with a 4-hour minimum?

We’re in the Midwest so we maybe get 2-3 plowables per season on average.

Not trying to get rich, just a little added income as this is my only customer so far.

Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the length, but wanted to give as much info as possible.

Thank you for your time.

Doctr-K

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

For your situation, I'd recommend doing it per mile and per application for salting. Will you be using sand, salt or a mix? Your figure "per mile" sound fine, just stipulate that it will be done after so much depth - say 2 or 4 inches - otherwise, they'll want to pay you the "per mile" for any snowstorm, regardless of depth. With sanding or salting, figure "per application" - forget additional for material or you'll get nitpicked about how "you didn't really need to use that much". Figure an average amount you'd use and go with it - you may use more or less each time, depending on the circumstances but it'll average out.

I used a sand/salt mix and gave a sanding price of equal to plowing for any particular area.

3. Doctr-k

Doctr-k Junior Member
    from MO

Thanks!

Hi Mick, thank you for the information. I thought the per mile price for plowing was fair. I figure I'd use a sand/salt or sand/melt mixture since the places I have to spread would need some added traction help. I know the sand is not too expensive, but the melt can get high. A little more "ciphering" and I think I can put a decent proposal together for them.

Thanks again, and I really enjoy the site!

Doctr-K

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

5. Doctr-k

Doctr-k Junior Member
    from MO

Thanks for the info!

Doctr-k

6. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member