1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing gravel

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 427randy, Dec 24, 2004.

1. 427randy

427randy Junior Member
    from pa.

new to the site,but i have been plowing for approx 10 years mostly my own property.we have 4 retail stores and a storage business.That brings me to this question: the one location i plow is all gravel,i have a hard time not plowing up the stone the first couple of times.I heard the poly edges work better for this? If so were can i get one? By the way i have a 94 f150 6cyl with a new 7.5 western ultramount i am plowing with this year.Hope it works out ok. THANKS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYONE!!!!

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The poly does work well for plowing gravel. Call me at 860.608.1842 and I can help you find one.
    Dino

3. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

one of the best things about a poly edge is its ability to not dig into gravel like a steel edge does. it will carry alittle gravel if it isnt frozen but not much at all compared to steel.

4. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Break out the ole trusty garden hose and turn that lot into an ice rink. No more stone will move then. =)....Rob

5. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

bingo, dont forget that the poly will leave the same amount of snow on the paved surfaces as the gravel surfaces, I had to take mine off today to do final lot cleanups so I could get the last 2" or so :rolleyes:

6. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Why do they do that Nate? Does the edge round off and cause the plow to rise up more easily?

7. Big Nate's Plowing

a 500# plow resting on a 8' long ½" edge is producing 10.41 pounds per square inch now doing the math on a 1½" edge makes for 3.42 PSI of pressure thus making the plow more apt to glide over the hardpack instead of cutting through it

8. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Wider edge, I gotcha. I hadn't actually seen one. Thanks

9. Big Nate's Plowing

heres a pic of a superior poly edge on my meyer, the lot that the durango is sitting in was plowed with that edge on the blade,

100_1561.JPG

10. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Dont beleive everything others say about u edges and scraping ability. The effectiveness of an edges ability to work has much to do with type, and amounts of snow as anything else. If I remember there was alot of rain and ice mixed in with the snow, that will result in less than ideal plowing results.
    In last weeks event we had, it was rain in the eve before the snow, so when the snow started it melted till enough cold ai came in and froze the bottom layer, then 5" of powder fell on top. Even the interstates had hard pack snow on it. They were plowed by 11' 2000# plows with still edges. The reason they may have scraped easier today is alot less snow, warmer temps, and sun may have helped loosen the bond and the plow now worked better. Also light plow with snow deflectos lift when the blade gets full loosing all ground pressure. You then drive over the remaining snow packing it further. That also will lead to disappointing results, although no fault of the edge itself.
    Dino