1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Foreman

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by redman6565, Jan 20, 2009.

1. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

How many of you guys have a "plowing foreman"? Just had a guy apply and tell me he can operate a loader but would be better suited for a foreman position overseeing the mornings. I mean, is that not my job as an owner/operator?
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Actually as owner your job is to have an overview of whats going on. As foreman he carries out your orders and makes sure all the small details are taken care of and then reports back to you.
  3. redman6565

ya but i cant see paying a guy to drive around and check this stuff. one, i head my own crew still and always will, then i have two other guys that have three or four under them and i guess you can label them foremans, but they plow and generally they are the guys that salt their lots too.
  4. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Depends on how big you are. Do you have alot of post-storm clean-up which would occur after your intial push? We have foreman who are in charge of our bigger sidewalk crews. We also have one area with alot of accounts, and even though the owner handles dispatch from the office, our operations manager kind of oversees this whole area as kind of a seperate customer base and he calls in with the completion times, not the individual operators.

We have a lot of different types of accounts which stretch each push out into sevral days of pile pushing, hauling, etc... If you are sick of working a 24-36 hour shift, maybe consider someone else to take charge for a portion of that time.
  5. redman6565

we run 18 to 21 guys on average every morning, i have 11 of them. One foreman has 3 under him and the other has 2 under him.

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

then you dont need him as you already have two working foreman, tell him you dont pay for people to watch those days are over.
  7. redman6565

oh ya, trust me i already did that, i just wanted to see if this was common practice or if it was just me.
  8. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I have thought of bringing someone in at 7am, to do clean up after towns (we do two HOA that have town roads, town comes through after were done & buries ends in) & service calls, kind of a quality assurance person. After starting at 2am by 8-9 am, of plowing, salting, dealing with the issues of 10+ guys in the field, the last thing I'm in the mood for is Mrs. Jones calling up, lying saying there 3" in her drive to show up to an inch or they finally moved a car & feel it should be plowed. Finding the right person would be tough though. It'll get there I need to double in size before it is financially & hourly feasable.
  9. redman6565

that's what i'm thinking. I could see a guy that operates 25+ pieces every morning to be able to hide the cost of a foreman and a two man crew to just clean up to make lots look good.
  10. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Sounds like you got it covered. I guess he doesn't think he needs to work at his job.
  11. redman6565

haha well that's why i had to bite my tongue to not laugh at the guy
  12. redman6565

i mean i guess if he wanted 9.00/hour to drive around and double check everything i check already then maybe lol
  13. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

its true, if you're an owner/operator, you're already the foreman.

Being an owner/operator myself, I can't see me hiring a foreman from outside, I think the foreman should be someone inside the company who has seen how the employees work, and what jobs they are suited for, and are able to do.
    just my $.02
  14. redman6565

that's what i'm thinking but who's running 30+ pieces of equipment out there? do you strictly have guys that drive around and check lots.
  15. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

I worked for one company that had a guy drive around and check lots and roads. He also came whenever we had an equipment failure and he was the one to run for parts as well. He wasn't a foreman by any means in fact I thought of him more as a grunt.
  16. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I bet this guy can't run a loader worth a darn either!
  17. redman6565

haha probably. he offered to deliver fuel and inspect my lots for like 19.00/hour
  18. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

deligating can be really nice sometimes

i found it works best to have a site formen if your doing larger sites.... or jsut a general for smaller ones.

Also , as a quality control , the person that is NOT plowing it , should double check the work...

lets not lie to our selfs... you know those days were you have been plowing ..forever,,, with little sleep , and seems like your getting nothing done... and towards the end of the route , i see guys get a little lazy... they still clear 95% ..and do a good job , but they will miss back dragging...or shoveling a walk here or there....

having a totaly fresh set of eyes , is a good thing... better you pay someone to do it, or you do it yoruself....then your customer checking your work
  19. redman6565

that's a good point...
  20. redman6565

So saying i don't believe in "just a foreman" because i have working foreman who not only manage but operate some piece of equipment themselves, how many of you guys offer bonuses at the end of the year?