1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing for work or hobby?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Dakota2004, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Dakota2004

Dakota2004 Senior Member

This thread is almost inspired by some of the others you guys posted in respect to "How businesses started and managing a job and plowing"
    I was thinking is there anyone here that does snow removal for something like a hobby? Well I want to know if theres anyone that does white collar plowing, where you have a good office job and plowing is something that just always interested you and you do it for fun and of course extra money?

Reason being is that I'm in my senior year of college and I am getting my degree in Accounting, and I enjoy plowing and some of my friends are like dude your going to school why you doing this and I'm like cause I enjoy it and I want to.. They think it's a waste for me to want to buy a nice truck to plow with, you know!!

There was just always thing for that and trucks, my mom like you plan on driving to a firm with a truck, and I was like not just any truck it will hopefully be the best and most expensive..lol

Anything like this ever happen to some of you.
  2. MO TOYS

MO TOYS Senior Member

No i cant really relate to that particular situation but i think that most the people in here do it not only for the moeny but for the fun also other wise why would they all be posting on this site in the summer lol.

But as far as me owning a truck instead of a bmw all my friends and family are all "blue collar" and we are around similar lines of work with our hands and tools so a nice truck is a good status symbol to us. lol
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If you read mine - I started while working at the Veteran's Administration as a Counseling Psychologist wearing a suit and sitting in a office. Didn't do any manual labor. Retired in Nov '03 and expanded the plowing for a couple of years. As noted, this year I cut way back on the plowing part.

Not intended as a brag, but money was not the whole motivation in developing the business. Once I decided to recoup the plow purchase, I wanted to test a theory I'd had for awhile - A person could make good in any business with reasonable demand for the service/product if they gave good customer service. Plowing fit right in since there are a lot of guys around plowing snow so I'd have to stand out somehow. I've always been priced on the high side, so being cheap wasn't a factor in the customers I got. I'm glad to say, I think my ideas worked.

So, to answer your question - yes, there are professional types (besides me, there are Accountants, Lawyers, MBAs and others on here) plowing snow.
  4. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I do it as a job. You wouldn't catch me doing it if I didn't like plowing though. It's really relaxing and fun for me. I feel like I accomplished something when I see a nice 4-5 foot pile stacking up at the end of clear pavement.
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

That's prettty much how i feel!! i love doing it, can't wait for this year as itll be my first year in my own truck with my own plow!! im stoked!
  6. solar

solar Member
    from Mass.

I started plowing for fun (for my brother's landscaping business) a couple years ago to help him out and because I thought it would be fun. Yada yada yada... I got hooked (very relaxing, great money, and the only way to convince my wife I 'need' a truck) I'm a full time "suit" during the week (well, business casual, anyway) working for a 5,000+ employee Dot Com. They're pretty flexible with hours, so it hasn't been a problem. As a dot comm'er I can always work a long shift plowing behind the wheel and then "work" remotely from home the following day.

The only problem I haven't sorted out is how to plow, "work", AND ski on a powder day!

And even though Mo doesn't, I love BMW's. :nod: (...just no Chyster-Benz's)
  7. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Trying to feed my addication to plowing. :nod:

Plowing snow is like drugs. You start out on weed, (truck), Meth (skid loader), concane (wheel loader). You just got to keep getting bigger contracts and bigger equipment. :rolleyes:

Oh and the money is good, Really GOOD!!!!!!!! (when it accutally snows)
  8. Dakota2004

Dakota2004 Senior Member

That really sounds great for all of you! I'm more than likely going to be a CPA by day and SNOW PLOWER by night!!!!!wesport

I've been plowing for 4 years now for the company I work for during the summer and I love it the last big storm that we had up here in Ct i worked 21 hrs and it was awesome. As many of you guys responded to some of my threads regarding a plow on my dakota I decided that isn't the way to go I will wait until I can afford a 3/4 ton then I will be able to do it myself, but for now my girlfriends uncle has a big landscaping company and he is going to have me plow for him this winter he's having me use his truck (he got 4), and 2 shovelers for a condo complex. I had a thread inside the new to the industry about what its like if anyone wants to also look at that and tell me your thoughts, it will be great

The plowing for the last company was more like big lots and some resid drives, oh yeah and a ton of my friends and familys houses seeing that I would take the truck home!!
  9. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

that's great that your getting your degree!! i started out just for fun, now it's more like a job. never enough money, employees sometimes late, and very stressful trying to get everything done by morning. personally if i were in a "white collar job" i'd spend my time off with my buddies in vegas or Cabo is nice too. hanging out by the pool by day and clubbing at night, meeting pretty ladies is much more "FUN" than trying to manage the trucks and walk crew with little or no sleep. i recall one storm (20"), we worked 30 hours straight (drug free), only stopped to eat twice. good luck!!!!
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2006
  10. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Started out doing it for the money. Not that I don't need the money now, but it is more like a competition or challenge to me. It is about winning. You and your trucks vs. "the storm". I am to the point that while I have to do this for the income, it is the challenge of beating the storm that makes it enjoyable. It truly can be a challenge to coordinate all your guys, take care of any breakage, keep an eye on the radar, juggle the cell phones and cb's, and try to have everyone cleared out before business opens. Then there are the 24hr super stores which are their own challenge within themselves with all the traffic. Then there are the 4" storms that start at 4am and finish at 7am. Then there is the drifting. You get the point. I like to win!
  11. Dakota2004

Dakota2004 Senior Member

Im telling you that just reading all this gets me pumped I come to this site like every time I go online, I totally understand how the thrills come during the storm and I can't even imagine the s@$^ you guys really have to deal with all the power to you guys to!

Its interesting how you guys all come together on this site and talk about everything even trading all the secrets even possibly to your competition. I appreciate all the feed back.

Oh yeah got to hand it to you guys also with handling the threads people post about what kind of plow should I get for my truck.. I've only seen about 3 dozen so far and I've only been a member now for like 4 months. And I also posted what plow for my truck, lol:dizzy:
  12. ChevyHD4X4

ChevyHD4X4 Senior Member

Well is started out to save money at work and bought a used Toyota. Then after a couple of years we bought a 3/4 Chevy, because my parents moved into the country and had 1500ft of drive way and the yoda was not making it.:dizzy: I have 6 building on campus to plow and my drive and then there's.

So a hobby....because it too much fun :cool:

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

36 hour straight plowing is not a hobby

john:sleeping: :sleeping:
  14. solar

solar Member
    from Mass.

Sure it is... just not a healthy one.:help:
  15. greenscapes inc

greenscapes inc Member
    from utah

For me snowplowing is anything BUT relaxing. Last year I have never been more stressed. Waking up every hour to check for snow, making sure your employees are awake and ready to got, trying to get everything done by 7 am. If you plow snow for a living and business count on you to be there whenever it snows then you are pretty much stuck, no vacation. Weather Man around here suck, you can never trust them. Try falling asleep after the weather man says "No chance of snow" and waking up at 8 am to 6 inches of snow and you tell me if thats relaxing.
  16. cha-chas plowin

cha-chas plowin Member

for me its a job but i love plowing so in a way its not a job whan i think of it it is more fun than any job could ever be:gunsfiring: :) :salute:
  17. Dakota2004

Dakota2004 Senior Member

This thread is starting to go off track with people saying that this business is a hobby or job. I know thats what the title is but my first thread explained everything.

I was really wondering how many guys here worked in an office and plowed.

Hey no ones responding to my condo thread
  18. 04f250xlt

04f250xlt Junior Member

Started out being a hobby, now its a great excuse to spend 35k on a new truck very 4 years... Write Off's thanks payup
  19. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

you said it right on!!!! can't even take a vacation durring my off season. if i do, gotta make sure and buy cancelation insurance