1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing for the state of RI

Discussion in 'Government Property Snow Removal' started by kyle35060, Oct 11, 2010.

1. kyle35060

kyle35060 Junior Member
    from RI

I was thinking about plowing for the state of RI this winter. Can anyone tell me how they are to work for? Do they call every storm, or just when they get behind, how many hours per season on average do you work? Or any thing else that would be helpful. Thanks

2. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

What kind of truck are you runnin?

3. kyle35060

kyle35060 Junior Member
    from RI

I have a 04 F350 6.0 with 8ft mm2. I have been looking at 450 or 550 dumps so i can sand with them. I would like to pick up a used 550 and put a 9ft plow with a 3+ yard sander. I just don't know much about the state how they work? It looks like they use alot of pvt.contractors. i have know idea how many hours they get per storm? Would it be worth the investment.

4. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

Interested in hearing some info too

5. quigleysiding

If it snows they give us hours.If they call in you they give a minimum of 4 hours. They only call in the big trucks for the little storms when they only need salt.Last year we didn't get **** for hours.The best thing too do is to go to the garage in your area and talk to the boss and ask them if they need more trucks. Thats what I did You can use the truck you have but.you have to have a sander or they will only call you if we get more than 5 of 6 inches.The more the truck weighs the more they pay. They pay different amounts for different size plows and sanders.If you go to the dot website you can see the rates.This year they throw us a curve ball. They want us to have our sanders calibrated.They want us too know what setting to put our sanders on for three different amounts per lane mile.Know body I know knows where to have this done.I talked to the boss and he says that their going to try to figure it out.He said he would call me when they figured out what was going on with that. You have to have your paperwork in by nov 1 and you get a 15 percent bonus. so you better get on it quick. sorry for the long post.I'll put more in later if your still interested.

Derrek

6. melldog55

melldog55 Member

Derrek Its your plow man T mello. Hows it going

7. quigleysiding

Hey whats up. You got the truck all set? Nice rain storm We had yesterday.:realmad:

8. melldog55

melldog55 Member

Yeah no kidding its awful. Maybe Sunday but there saying its going out to Sea. And we should be all up and running by this weekend

9. marinablue66

marinablue66 Junior Member
    from CT

Hi I was wondering how RI works, as far as how you get on their plowing list. In CT they put a RFP out every year for trucks with plows and operators. I was wondering if RI is the same and where I could find out more information, I tried looking on the RI state website and really couldnt find anything.

10. unimogr

unimogr Senior Member

Mass DOT is doing the same thing but giving everyone a year to get up to speed. If you install the controls this year you get a premium rate.

Dejana in Smithfield is selling a system that works with hydraulic sanders. Don't know what gas engine units can do. I'll do some research Monday when I stop there for some Fluid Film.

11. Sabsan84

Sabsan84 Senior Member

I think you could possibly could still in theory get on with the state, buts its kinda late, as most have trucks and operators in place. Check your towns too, they pay the same or more, and you have to know more about your own town as far as what you see out and about plowing. There are people hiring trucks, be sure to get it in writing, there are alot of people that dont pay subs, they keep stringing you along, so I dont blame you to go want to work for the municipality, at least they wont short you, good luck!

12. kyle35060

kyle35060 Junior Member
    from RI

how many hours

How many hours did everyone get this last storm plowing for the state?

13. quigleysiding

14. melldog55

melldog55 Member

Hows your cutting edge?

15. quigleysiding

Waiting for snow. How did you like the new plow?

16. melldog55

melldog55 Member

Yeah i gues friday night into saturday. I thought your cutting edge feel off?. How about our new plow? And your is nice.

17. quigleysiding

Ya it's all set now.I just got back from Florida so I need some cash. I hope we get something this weekend.

18. jcab12002

jcab12002 Junior Member

Looking to be hired

I got one truck available with a sander available now. Just found out today that the company I worked for lost me in their system and gave my contracts to another vendor. A little pissed ok very pissed and need to get work. I know its late but hoping someone has too much work. Very flexible in location right now. email jcab12002@gmail.com or cell is 401-256-9709 email is best way.

19. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

Lucky you are down south, most contractors in NH have to have a 9' wide plow w/spreader. All their own supply. It's hard enough to get in up here with a 1-ton, cause they are only used for big intersections. Rest of the trucks are CDL required and have to have 11' plows, with wings, or double wings. All with spreaders.