1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing for School districts

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowzilla, Feb 13, 2014.

1. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

Hey gang, a buddy of mine at work is a member of a school board. They have in-house snow removal and it is costing them a lot of money, especially this winter in Illinois. They are looking for ways of saving money on the snow and lawn care. He would like to present some examples of school districts who switched out to us contractors. Can anyone let me know if they have a contract with a school district and which district your doing? Heck, there are a lot of schools out there looking to save money and tend to look to other districts for guidance.
    Any help would be appreciated. To bad this district is an hour from me:realmad:

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Ask if the maintenance guys are union first,if they are your out of luck.

3. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

An hour north or south?

4. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

Isn't it public information. Figure out how much they paid and draw up your own specs and put in a bid. Sometimes good service costs money. Is the school happy with the job they do? I'm not trying to be negative but some guys with two trucks then they can handle anything, they get a big job and fall on their face.

5. Snoviper

Snoviper Senior Member

GV is right, here in NY it is pretty much all union and you would not be able to just switch over. Not sure what it is like in IL, but taking on the union would be next to impossible here. Most of the guys that do the plowing in the winter are the same ones that do the other maintenance as well as other jobs in the district.

6. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

I am not looking to bid on this. He is just looking for other districts who had went with contractors so he can present it to them in a gathering with them this weekend.
    I told him if that was the route they wanted to take, that he should get references and an equipment list for just what you mentioned.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

All he needs to do is see if his distract is union or not,if it is then most likely all distracts are.

8. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I have a Contact with my School district Summer time mowing and during winter time I'm on call only when they cant handle the snow
    Mowing is around 100 acres
    For the snow Im on a hourly rate with them

9. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I know guys who plow schools, depends on the district regarding the union.