1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing for part time income?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by MoreSnowInCanad, Jul 25, 2009.

1. MoreSnowInCanad

MoreSnowInCanad Junior Member
    from Toronto

anybody do this?

Does the cost of insurance force you to do this full time? Are you just self insured?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Probably 90% are part time. Insurance is the same for PT as FT. There is no such thing as self insured (SR 22 filing, I think it is for auto self insuring).

(edit) I just noticed that you're in Canada, so it may be different.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Technicality we all plow part time. Since no one plows everyday (except Cet) we only work when it snows. The rest of the time we sit around on PS.:drinkup:

You could try subbing or be on call when need ,you just need to explain upfront with the company that you can only plow part time.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

You plow when it snows and blows around. No part time about that.
    When it's not snowing you don't have to plow but you can do hauling or clean-ups to make extra money or to stay busy.

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The stress is there Nov. 1 until April 15 and then it starts raining(this year). You can't go away, party or make future plans.Insurance is a big issue. I've always had it so I don't know what to say. There are many that plow houses without insurance which is ok until you hit something or worse, someone.

6. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Who the hell plows? Thats got to be the worst job Ive ever heard of. Sitting in a truck for long hours moving snowflakes. What a joke.

7. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I'm self unsured!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  8. MoreSnowInCanad

MoreSnowInCanad Junior Member
    from Toronto

Can you plow and maintain a 9-5 job at the same time? Does the insurance and equipment cost make that too difficult?

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you are plowing for someone else then you can plow and maintain a full time job for sure. There are a few places that don't require day time plowing while you are working.

If you buy a new plow and look after it you should get an easy 10 years worth of service. If your brokering for someone you insurance increase should be minor also. You are not going to make thousands but you can make some extra money. Some guys just want a nice truck to drive and this is an excuse/opportunity to get it.

10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

11. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

:D

Seasonal gig depending on the weather.Hourly is totally honest, Seasonal is always a gamble. Per push is the same as hourly in my books. I just added that because I could not post in just the colour red.:yow!:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  12. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Or you can do like me, and suffer all year saving your vacation, holiday, and sick time for the snow. Though it really sucks working over 100 hrs every single week during the summer. But that o/t pays off, blood money ugh.

13. tinffx

tinffx Member

In VA part time is easy. Its just not part time when you want it to be. Plus its warm enough that you can get away here and there if that is your thing. That and I always have a celebratory beverage or two once the pushing is done & the truck is parked

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You can keep your day job if you do the right type of plowing, and your boss (9-5 or plowing) is flexible. Last year I typically plowed 18-20 hours per storm. It would be pretty tough to do that with a reg job, unless you burn all your sick/vacation time.

If you want to pick up a few drives and explain you wouldn't be able to plow during the day, then go for it. If you're in an area where subbing is common, that would definitely be the way to go. You can learn the business, and set a time you have to leave each night/morning.

15. STREETGLIDE

STREETGLIDE Member
    from OHIO

I own a asphalt business and work all summer and do nothing in the winter so i figured i would buy a plow and plow all winter long being i have all winter to do nothing, my uncle plows and he makes an extra $20.000.00 to $30.000.00 a year but he does big shopping mall lots and corporate office buildings.