1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing for nationals suck!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PTTP08, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

Who here has problems with sms? The managers of the property has the decision if you get paid for the service and some of these people have no commen sense and they treat my staff like ****. Not ganna work for these guys next winter.

Example, we plowed and salted a lot there was alot of hard pack so we put alot of salt down for free of course the next morning as cars drove on the lot it turned to slush. The next morning I am in the lot cleaning up the slush for free of course as this email comes in ripping my company to crap stating there is slush in the lot and I guess I am the devil. I kindley walked in spoke to this person who sent the email and explained how salt works on the ground and it was like a light bulb went off in her head she signed the paper I left shaking my head. You cant cure stupid.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like the problem is the manager not the national.You need to speak to who ever is in charge at each location you plow. Give them the low down on what your going to due during the season, Make sure they have your phone number to call you.

3. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Definetly the nationals fault.

If you are going to do something that will be for the better in the long run but make a mess first, why not stop in an explain to the on site staff what you are doing and why?

4. bln

bln Senior Member

I'm just surprised that will all the info. On this site that anybody works for nationals.

5. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

do they hold a gun on you and make you plow for them.

6. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

we plow at night and the answering service doesnt respond to the client all that well. The managers are just as frusterated as I am cause when they call in a service its a 6 hour delay befors I even get the message. These managers would like to call me direct bjt they are not supposed to. Then when I get there they are a lil ticked off. It has resorted to leaving a note on the front door so who ever opens up the store they know the game plan and when to expect our staff.

7. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

At this point the only reason I am staying on with them is for my guys to get the hours in.

8. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Family Dollar?

9. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Don't paint a broad brush. With the good there will always be the bad. You just rarely hear about the good nationals.

10. grandview

Isn't SMS a certain company from Erie Pa?

11. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Not much about this makes sense. Why is a store emailing you? Why are you doing services and not checking them in? If a return trip is warranted report it. If there's a question on service why aren't you returning to the store with your driver/sidewalk logs in hand and getting a job report signed?

Ohhhhhhh those evil nationals!

12. grandview

I think he's complaining about the lag time. Store manager calls wants sidewalk shoveled,they have to email national,plow get gets the ok 6 hrs later ,then shows up. Manager starts bitching.If he just goes and do the work ,he might not get paid for unauthorized work.

13. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Every leap year you hear good things about the nationals. This is not a leap year.

14. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

at the start of teh season, we find the mangers of the stores of the seasonal contracts and give them 3 cell phone contacts...keeps the customer happy when they get a 1 hr response

15. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I think his problem is that he has to have authorization from SMS before he can do the work and its takign them to long to respond. Which that leaves him a unhappy customer. He needs to explain this to the customer that its not him.

16. underESTIMATED

underESTIMATED Senior Member

Sounds like the one I had for less than a week.

17. stang2244

stang2244 Senior Member

I service some accounts for SMS and we do all service as it is needed as opposed to waiting for the store manager or SMS to call us out. I assumed this was standard operating procedure?

18. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

You thinking of Rich Arlington? He's from here in Erie. Idk about sms but I don't do commercial so I've never dealt with any nationals. After reading on this site and talking to a few people around here I doubt I'd ever work for one.

19. grandview

I believe one in the same.

20. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Gotcha. Well, I'd put him right up there with john allin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.