1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing for Municipalites or States?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snow, Aug 11, 2001.

Do you plow for your town or state?

1. no, the pay is low

12 vote(s)
  2. no, we don't have enough equipment

15 vote(s)
  3. yes, we plow for the town

6 vote(s)
  4. yes, we sand for the town

0 vote(s)
  1. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

Does anyone plow for a town or a state? I know my town hires subs, but they don't pay great and after a contractor was doing a sidewalk for the town, hit a gas line, causing a huge explosion. a dog went through a window, cars got damaged the town made the plowers take out a $1 million insurance policy. the small guys didn't want to do that for the little pay, so two big contractors had some trucks plowing for the town. when the town was hauling away snow from the blizzard they hired contractors and were paying very well. i think if they got in enough of a jam they'd pay pretty well for specialized equipment.

i know the state of connecticut pays very well for 5 ton trucks with plows and sanders, a few local guys here plow for them, along with a lotta contractors. they also garuntee a certain amount of money, not sure how, but. Mass subs out a lotta plowing also.

do any of you guys send trucks to plow for towns or the state?

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

We could plow for local towns if we wanted to. However they pay well enough, but we can make more plowing out own roads and lots.

As far as insurance, I would think that anyone plowing a road would want a million dollar policy.

As far as haulen snow, that is one of the few times I hire subs.

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

A friend of mine plows for the state of Mass and he says it takes a long time fro them to pay plus he's wearing out his blads after one or two storms.He has five or six trucks out and has the big insurance policy any way for his business.I think it's only good if you have alot of equipment and you want your summer help to stick around for the next season well that's what he does to try and keep the same guys plus make some $.The only other good thing about doing highways is they are long streight runs with little shifting or stopping.
  4. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a friend too on MA. He loves it. He got two trucks on the road, one ford 6 wheeler with 11ft power angle he gets $90 hr for and a 10 wheel mack 11ft one way ,he gets $85 with a 4 hr min pay for each . His cutting edgs last 2 yrs some times longer, he cuts up old edges in to 12'' sections and welds them to the ends of the cutting edge. i personally like to get paid in the Winter time. I don't like how the state DOP pays, January 1st payment and 2nd payment in august. But last year they did get paid twice in the Winter, maybe because all the snow.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

State Highway's

I have an uncle who used to plow for Mass highway but he also became tired of getting paid in July or August . His rate for the tenwheeler he has was about 110$ ( the rate is based on where you plow in the state and what your plowing with ) but as cat and others have said the expense's became too much . A contractor that we partner up with has some of his equipment on with the city of Boston. He only puts his older and junky equipment on, but they pay the same regardless of the age of the trucks. I have to agree that the contractors that benefit most from municipal work are those that have trucks that would otherwise be rusting away during the winter. Almost forgot, I read somewhere that the state of Massachusetts hires around 4300 private contractors.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2001
  6. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I'm in the process of putting togrther a bid for plowing for a local Village, about 7 miles of sidewalks, plus Fire Dept, local park roads etc.
    It's a pretty good size contract, and means I'll have to lease or buy a Holder or Trackless, but that will be built into the contract price. It's no different then plowing for a private contract, the contract will specify payment terms etc. I carry 2 Million in contractors liability insurance, and I had to get certified for Safety training ( which very few snowplow contractors up here have brothered to do). I have a contract with our local school board which has workrd out well. If you treat the government like any other client what's the diff? If they aren't willing to pay your price, don't do it.

7. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

I I worked for a company for the last couple years and will be subbing out two trucks to them this year that plows for the township. We plow all the schools, parks, fire houses, trian stations and other muniplality owned sites in town. I now that they make good money too.
  8. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

I do, I plow both streets and the local airport and may haul snow away from the cities blower.
  9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

10. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

Do they list the winning contractors on the site also ? I'm curious as to how much the winning bids go for. Since this was a poll and 35% said the pay was too low, I'm interested in seeing how low 'too low' really is.
  11. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

A truck , 35k gvw and up w/ a plow gets $105 and hour, and if it has a minimum 6 yard sander gets $140 an hour for plow and sander. they require an 11' blade. They garuntee a $3500 minimum for a plow truck, and $5k for a truck w/ a plow and sander. I talked to a customer at the gas station, who has a truck on state bid to plow, he told me he made $18k last winter w/ one truck plowing for the state. He said if u only go out once, since they garuntee the minimum, u get a check for $5k.

when i get some big trucks, i'll probably have em plowing for the state.

and yes you can view the winning contractors on the website.

12. jjdonovan

jjdonovan Member

Local town plowing

I could not decide if I wanted to plow for my local town or try bidding against everyone else for the commercial spots! After weigh the pros and cons. I decided to plow for the town , not that the pay was the greatest,$51/hr for a one ton.But mainly due to the fact that one of my friends was stiffed by one of his largest account for $18,000.
    A court fight and many months later he won partial payment.I only want to plow to help pay for the truck when it would be sitting idle during the winter months anyway.Town plowing is easier I think!Easier pushes Just my thoughts ..anyothers out there plowing for their towns?
  13. grfarah

grfarah Junior Member

am going to get hookwith a town this year

i live in boston mass and i have a car lot in grafton mass and car sales are down so am going to plow for the winter but do not know if each town pay the same andhow to go about it any imput would be thankfull
  14. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Old thread here., but only the towns ,county and State plow the road here.