1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing for MassHighway/Cities/Towns???

Discussion in 'Networking' started by merrimacmill, Jan 28, 2008.

1. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Just wondering, for those that do, how do you guys like plowing for the highway dept. or your local cities or towns? I've herd that mass highway pays a 200 HR minimum per season per truck. I would be really surprised if this is true though. I would be surprised if there even is a minimum amount of hours that you would be guarenteed to get paid. How hard is it to get contracted by the govt? Do you have to know someone?

Thanks

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

you can look it up on line just do a search.As far as a min of 200 hrs I don't think they give you that it may be like 4 hr min per event.Just don't expect to get paid right away you better have enough working capital to suport your gas and drivers for awhile.

3. FteNelson

FteNelson Member

I plow for the town of rockland, its about 40 min south of boston. when it comes to towns i think its better to know someone.
    i like working for the town. i dont make half the money that the guys who do commercial stuff, but its alot more forgiving for your truck IMO. we plow in convoy's not by are selfs, unless its cul-de-sacs.

that and the fact if my blade breaks on me during a storm all i have to do is get to the barn and BAM its fixed :)

4. FteNelson

FteNelson Member

that its always a 3 hour minimum, i make 65 an hour for my f-350 with an 8 foot blade