1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing for extended periods of time....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bad Luck, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Do any of you guys get numb after a few hours? Last night/this morning my face started getting numb and I began to feel a slight loss of motor skills. Not cool. Pulled over and hopped out of the rig for a few, was ok for another 30 minutes or so. This went on for the rest of the storm. :help:

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Sounds like you may be sucking some exhaust. Only thing that gets numb is my ass bone. My knee's hurt a bit as I have had 3 op's on those. But never loss of motor skills or face numbing. Better check your exhaust real good.
  3. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

Numb Face.

You really do need to see a doctor if this is persistent.I would check my exhaust out but i would call and make an appointment with the doc.Not to scare you but do you have any heart trouble in the family?Do you feel really tired all the time?do you get any tingling/numbing in the arms or legs?Do you have any diffuculty breathing?(like a wieght or pressure on the chest?)I went through this with a fellow co-worker and i ended up running him to the E.R. because he would not listen until he darn near passed out.I get him to the E.R. and he then tells the nurse when they asked him of any heart problems in the family"my father was permantly disabled at age 33 due to a stroke" :eek:.He is fine now and does take meds daily but it could have been much worse if i did not force him in the truck.
  4. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Yo Anthony,
    First off I'd go to the Dr. for a check up unless you've recently had one. Who knows, it could be a few things. Lack of sleep maybe, the body does funny things when it gets run down. Sitting for long periods of time also can wear on a person, especially if sitting kind of awkward as it could put pressure on a nerve therefore causing numbness and etc. Fumes are certainly possible. Dehydration maybe, personally I think this happens more then people think as usually your sitting in a cab that's pretty warm and moving around a lot messing with joysticks, shift levers, gas & brake pedals, checking mirrors constantly, (well maybe not you as evidence proved earlier this week :D ), etc.

Start with the doctor so he can rule out anything there, that'll ease your mind. Then get rid of that Fisher and get a Blizzard that'll take care of all problems!! :D Geez, I'm starting to sound like Bolts!

Seriously, hope all checks out well for you bud. Keep us posted.

5. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

This may sound dumb but you could be cold :confused:

I plow 90% of the time with the back window down. This keeps the fog of the window and allows me a lot better look out my rear window. Not to mention helps me coordinate my side walk crew ;) . But what I was saying is after a wile you don't really know how cold you are. I start to lose motor skills in my face/jaw from being so cold for 10, 20, sometimes 30 hours (not to the point of frost bite, just could uncoordinated muscles). Then that makes speaking difficult (like a bad tung twister). Just like when your hands VERY cold and trying to type, just doesn't't work.

Just another possibility. :rolleyes:
  6. Rappa

Rappa Member

I actually went through the same thing this year. I would start to panick as I didn't know what was wrong with me. I would feel dizzy, faint, my mouth would go numb, and sometimes my hands. I went to the doctor for tests, and turns out I am hypoglycemic. (low blood sugar) happens when you dont eat for long periods of time, then eat, then not eat. We all know plowing screws up your dining schedule, and for me, it was real bad. At times I felt faint. I saw a dietician and now I pack a cooler with all kinds of snacks that were reccommended to me. Now I am doing alot better in these long storms. Some peoples bodies react different then others. I now know that I need to eat every hour or two! Good luck
  7. ToolMaker

ToolMaker Member

It might be your seat , I know two guys that plow with Chevys that complain of back pain and general discomfort from their seats , Also you could have a pinched nerve ,If I don't use my mirrors enough I get a stiff neck. Either way I would talk to my Doc.
  8. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

I thought about this for a while and I think it's a combination of a few things....I was pretty beat, and after a while my seats do get uncomfortable. I do leave my windows cracked to keep fresh air in the cab. I'm in pretty good shape. I don't think it's dehydration as I carry and continually sip from a gallon of water as I plow. Last time I was at the doc over the summer I was told I'm in perfect health (26yrs old if that means anything). The thing is that this happned to me with the first storm I plowed this year also. I thought it was just from staring out the window and trying to see "past" the snow that was falling, plus it was dark, and I migth have been staining my eyes to see a little better. Who knows. I will be taking a trip to the doc on Monday to get checked out, just in case. I feel fine other than that, it's just after I've been in the truck for 3 or 4 hours that it starts. As far as sucking exhaust fumes, possible, but unlikely. My truck only has 10k on it, and my window are always open to keep fresh air in the cab.

Buck - How did I know that you were going to throw a shot at me with that!!! :jester: Oh, and hey, when you are ready to use a real plow I'll be more than happy to lend you mine....we all know that Blizzards are the worst plows ever and that Fisher RULES!!
  9. Up North

Up North Senior Member

LOL!! You got it buddy. Actually the next time out if you want to run your plow over I'll gladly beat on your's vs. mine! :nod:

But I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm sure you're just fine, plowing can be intense at times. Especially after bulldozing a little car and a fence post all in a day's time (not taking a shot at you here, I'm serious). After an incedent like those I think you tend to be overly cautious and tense up because you don't want to bust something. Besides a cool hip dude like you couldn't possibly have something wrong with them... :cool:

Now hopefully you'll get some more snow so you can go out and test our theories.

10. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

This is true. I was looking over my shoulder a whole lot last night instead of using my mirrors. Maybe a contibuting factor....we shall see....

Hey, what size tires do you have on your truck? Did you go any bigger than the stock size? I'm thinking sometime after the summer I will need new rubber and want to go with some 285's.
  11. Up North

Up North Senior Member

I've got the 265's on. Bridgestone Dueler AT's, not the REVO's, the standard AT. I looked into going with the 285's but had guys telling me they zap some horsepower. Think that's true? I know it takes more effort to roll those things but I wouldn't think it'd be that big of a difference.

I've got 91,000 on the truck and 49,000 on the Duelers, my brother in law owned the truck before me and never rotated the focking tires in the 24,000 miles he had it!! :angry: Put the new ones on at 42,000 and they still have good tread left. Anyway, sorry for getting off subject. Do you think the 285 would rub at all? I haven't put in Timbrens or cranked my torsions yet so I'm thinking mine would rub when I have the plow on.

12. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

How many "few" are you hopping out of the rig for :drinkup:

Face feeling numb....motor skills depleated...gimme a "few" for the road bartender :drinkup:

13. Up North

Up North Senior Member

TLS, I think he was referring to a "Few" minutes. I could be wrong but that's the way I took it.

14. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Cough....JOKE....Cough :rolleyes:

15. Up North

Up North Senior Member

I was thinking that after I made my post...duh. :rolleyes:

Hey TLS, you made a post in another thread about the overheating problems, and you said I could put in a fan clutch myself. I'm not a mechanic, can do basic maint. type stuff and minor repairs but never put a fan clutch in before...easy? Hard? Can a guy like myself put one in without much problem?

16. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

I got up thursday morning at 4:30 and worked till 7 pm.. I got home, showered ate and headed out to plow..Around 6 this morning, I suddenly got prickly heat/cold sweat, and severe stomache pains...Don't know if it is from being up so long or being in the truck so much, but I notice when I plow my whole face and ears are bright red...I keep my heat pretty high, so maybe dehydration, but i cannot find a way to keep the back and side windows clear otherwise..Anyone have a tip, so I can keep the heat lower??
    -My doctor says the plowing is what wears on my body more than driving a truck does, due to lack of sleep, food, water.....Funny, we all make decent money but at what expense to ourselves??!
  17. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

<i>"cannot find a way to keep the back and side windows clear otherwise..Anyone have a tip, so I can keep the heat lower??"</i>

I bought a 12v fan from a RV dealer. It is a 5inch fan and I mounted on dash. Has a 12v/cigg plug on it so I just plug it in and aim it at passenger side window with defrost on low. Is nice circulation and keeps all windows frost free.
  18. tomv420

tomv420 Junior Member

Driving for over ten hours in a row is very bad for you

my knee gets sore have to push the clutch all the time and I really hate staying up for more then 13 hours in a row but you got to make the money plus you get the rest of the winter off when your not plowing so i guees its a trade off.
  19. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Get some Rain-X Anti-Fog from any auto/truck parts store and apply it to the inside of all your truck's windows. It really works great and you can keep your heat/defrost set where you want it without worrying about the windows. The Rain-X ice melting windshield washer is really great too, I recommend it also. If you use both together, you'll be amazed at the results I think.
  20. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I have hypoglycemia (sp??) and those are my classic symptoms when I have an attack. They are caused by a drop in blood sugar. I always keep a candy bar handy or some orange juice.