1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing for CT DOT

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mike9497, Dec 29, 2002.

1. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

i figured i ask.two years ago i was a sub for the CT DOT.now my partner set that up for us and now we are no longer partners so im trying to find out where you register.anyone have an idea.tried calling one of the branhes mainly the woodbridge station plow team 35 i think it was.the person we talked to last got laid off.i thought they would just call when they needed us but i haven`t had a call from them in some time now.

2. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

Mike ,

As far as I know it goes out to bid...

check this site http://www.das.state.ct.us/ for more info, but the word I heard on it was the truck rental bid went out and was picked up by the state at 140 and hour depending on equipement, then the cut the rates a lot and then put everyone on standby so that they are the last to be called if ever.... I know no one in fairfield county bid at all...

look at the bid on it

http://www.das.state.ct.us/Contracts/023_0005.pdf

This is the particular one that I am thinking of, but I do know that other dept sent out bids for their dept, detp of trans, socai lservices, mental retardation, mental heatlh, airports, etc

IF you find a dept that you can just call up and get onto the stand by list let me know...
    I know I could use the money

Pete from monroe
    :waving:

3. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

thats what we were on call.i think it was 180 an hour back when we worked there.as i have been looking over files here i found that out about the biding.but i don`t think we gave out a bid then.they would just call and say they need a truck for this plow team at this time its 180 per hour.we need you from this time to this time which was always in the middle of the storm and once it stopped snowing an hour later they would tell us to leave

4. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

mike

was it for dot or some other dept in the state? I know you don't know who called , but maybe if you know the dept you could just call them and see what is the current procedure??

Pete

5. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

I was looking on the website for the bids about snowplowing. It seems the state is paying $120 an hour or so for an F350 size truck w/ an 8' plow and a 2 yard spreader. That doesn't seem bad. People bid lower, but $120 seems to be the average.

For big trucks, a contractor in my town puts a big L8000 on for the state. The state guarantees a $5k minimum for a 32k gvw dump with a plow and spreader. After you work the hours to cover they $5k they pay you, it is $140 an hour.

My friend plows/sands the DMW in bridgeport, thats a nice $$ account. The one in norwalk is $795 a push, and it probably doesn't even take an hour there. State work pays pretty well it seems.

Bryan

6. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Wow you guys down south do pretty well!!! I think the top rate for Mass is 125$ per hour but thats for a 10 wheeler with a 11-12' plow.

7. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

well guys im looking to plow roads and highways not the dot building lots.so if anyone knows who to contact in that matter please let me know.

8. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

If you looked on the DAS website, you would have found the link to the contract for plowing roads. It's a closed contract now, so if you want to plow for the 2003-2004 season you have to bid during the summer i believe.

Here's the link to the contract and people who bid- Click here

Bryan

9. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

Mike,

Did you ever find an answer for plowing or a contact person??

Just wondering???

10. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

gs

no i haven't yet,but one other contractor i talked to said they had an ad in the paper for plowing the dot buildings,but nothing about roadways