1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing for a township

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JCI Trans, Jan 13, 2009.

1. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

hey guys, I've been subbing for a private contractor for the last 6 years and in recent years he's really been cutting back, only calling out a few trucks for a storm and working the hell out of them. The rest of us sit there and wait for a call that seems to never come. I have some friends who plow for the local town and they go out every storm , even if its only 5 or 6 hours. I was thinking that along with getting more hours per year it would probably be better on the truck plowing roads instead of lots (less shifting!) Has anyone ever made this transition?? How did it work out for you?? Thanks for the input and happy plowing!
  2. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

Towns are OK, the best are Huntington, and Babylon. You may even want to think of working Laguardia Airport. The only issue that I have is that if you work 5-6 hours you will have your plow on the ground for 4-5 hours. That's alot of wear and tear on the truck. That's why I went to getting my own contracts. I'm out less and triple my money.
  3. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

It will be with the town of huntington, i know a few foremen from my firehouse and they said it is pretty well run. i have a full time job so running my own contracts would be a little tough, however i can leave if necessary during a storm. I just figured it would be close to home, a lot less traveling than i do now.
  4. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

i do it here in MA
    we go out everytime the town trucks go out. also we are paired up with a town truck on the route
    pretty much we plow from time we get there untill the town says we stop. anytime we are on a town road(our route or not) the plow is down and we are plowing something(bare pavement or snow)
    then money is good and its more of a guarantee.
    i really enjoy it just be careful for manholes/potholes/drains/ruts/ anything that will make the balde trip
  5. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

Sounds like the way to go then, the guys i know get a lot more hours than i do working privately, plus no shifting every 30 seconds. Thanks for the input guys, the paperwork is going in tomorrow.
  6. Michael M

Michael M Member

I made the switch and it was the best decision I ever made. If its snow, we plow.payup
    I get paid every two weeks, not chasing money from cheap customers. Good luck!
    Go slow, look like a pro!
  7. ColliganLands

i dont know about this go slow thing lol
    last storm i hit 30 and i still couldnt keep up with the town truck
    but i do agree we get paid every week and it beats waiting around for money like i do with my few resi customers
  8. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

Def sounds like a good move
  9. unimogr

unimogr Senior Member

I just made the jump too. I'm laid off so anything extra is good. I still have my own accounts and I explained to them what I'm up to and they say they understand.

My first night, Sunday went well and I have a route I'll be working. There's also a town truck and contracted pickup. They run together and I just make the long runs and keep looping the route. So much easier than back and forth but your blade is on the ground as long as you're out there. I'm flipping the cutting edge tonight so we'll see how fast I burn them up.
  10. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Just a heads up guys, just as private contractors are cutting back on subs so are the townships. We have 5 trucks with spreaders registered with 4 townships and have yet to be called so far this season from any of them. On the flip side we have had 4 events on our own accounts. We too have been cutting back on subs when possible and keeping the money "in house" for our own staff, rather than outsourcing it.

If you do decide to run for a township, make sure you invest in some shoes, and not the cheap ones either. Beefy shoes are alot cheaper to replace than your cutting edge.
  11. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

Yeah i thought of that the only reason im moving over is because they are in need of trucks, as told to me by a few of the foremen who i know. The shoes are new last year, cutting edge is on its last year, but a small price to pay for probably double the hours and 1/10 the drivng distance to go to work.
  12. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

So i put my paperwork in and got my truck inspected by the town on wed. afternoon, and cot called in for most of the day thurs!! This is defenitely the way to go, beats the heck out of parking lots. Got a route 2 miles from my house with nice wide streets, no manhole covers! Thanks for the advice guys, and colligan thats one heck of a lighbar ya got there. I got my custom made (me!) whelen 44" edge goin on this weekend. happy plowing!
  13. ColliganLands

the town told me its over kill lol
    good luck out there and im glad it worked out well for you!!
  14. HarryCarry

HarryCarry Junior Member

Hey JCI, Just wondering if you plowed for the town this season. I have in years past but this year they seemed to change management over there. Got all my paperwork done, plow truck inspected but there insurance requirements changed. They now want to be listed as additionally insured on the certificate. Geico will only list them as additional interest which was sufficient in the past. I'm hoping you might have some advice on insurance companys or anything else to get me back with the town next year. I've been subbing this year doing driveways and it's not so great. Thank you
  15. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

They don't do that much around here. Pretty much all of our towns and municipalities have all the equipment they need and then some. Would be pretty fun though.
  16. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

I also was thinking about plowing for the town but was told the insurance is very expensive and if you dont get called out enough you could actually lose money, is this true, would like some feed back, thanks guys
  17. DRIFTER92

DRIFTER92 Senior Member

I have a great contact on insurance which i can't release but it costs me $1310.00/yr for 1mil truck / 1 mil G/L. Geico was $3000+ so it's affordable just need to know the right person to knock off 25% then pay all up front and get another 10% off. I have plowed our local roads a little bit when they need it on my way in from plowing, You would get half the life out of your plow if you have roads like i do locally.. I wouldn't do it but i just got a kick ass new contractor too so i am making alot better money. Talk to everyone you know about insurance you'll track down someone who has affordable coverage for a single truck operation, 2 companies wouldn't offer coverage at all i looked into. Something to do in the summer time for sure...