1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing for a Town (Long Island)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jturbo86, Sep 24, 2014.

1. jturbo86

jturbo86 Junior Member

I've been interested in earning some extra income ever since I purchased a house to help pay the bills since my wife is currently ill and is temporarly unable to work. I do have some experience plowing parking lots but i'm looking for more information about getting a contract with the town of brookhaven.

A few questions I have are:

Who do I contact about getting a contract?

Am I guaranteed a contract?

How do they determine pay?

Who contacts you and when if your service is needed?

Thank you for any information you guys can give me Thumbs Up

2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I'll try to help, even though I'm not from same country, although I can answer a few of those
    Don't know, the town maybe
    no
    by your contract terms(maybe size of equipment & experiance matter)
    no one, your contract tells you when to go out I'd imagine

My advice.....go out & do your friends & family to get more experiance, then look into making it a buiseness that is insured so you can offer your services to others including the town.

Queston, do you even have a truck & or plow?

3. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Where are you on the island? Do you already have a plow?

4. mikeyd915

mikeyd915 Junior Member

Some of the high cost item you will need to start a plow "business" are:
    4x4 truck + plow
    Salt spreader
    Work lights
    Amber emergency strobe light
    Insurance
    24hr service

5. hatchmastr

hatchmastr Senior Member
    from 516

you will probably be better off finding a couple of small commercial lots like gas station or small stores,
    I have never worked for the town but you will never get rich working for the man .

6. TCLandscaping

TCLandscaping Senior Member

A lot of my buddies plow for the town of islip and brookhaven as they are drillers and such so when snow flies they aren't working. Its actually a good gig from what I understand. You don't have to have amazing equip because if it breaks you just get off the clock and go home. They are always using the excuse of being shorthanded as to why the roads suck so id say yes you will get a contract. go to town hall and ask about what you need to do. Very simple. They call you and tell you when to go check in and go out. No, you wont get rich but its a nice added income for a lower stress level of plowing. No deadlines, no owners busting balls ect!! No you don't need a sander, but yes you need insurance. Payments takes 30 days or so but it always comes. Good luck.

Where on the Island?

7. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

I'm looking for drivers/trucks and have plenty of guaranteed work...do you have a truck/plow? You can send me a Private Message with a way to get in touch with you, but I think you have to have so many posts (maybe 5 posts) before you can do so, if I remember correctly.

8. jturbo86

jturbo86 Junior Member

Hey Dave, im looking into purchasing a truck and plow now. I'm extremely reliable and have an excellent work history. I'm looking into something older and reliable. I have a lot of mechanical experience so if it's not reliable it can be made to be. I have limited plow experience but my father has plenty and can easily show me the ropes. Once i fulfill my post requirements ill be in touch. Thank you.

9. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Where are you on Longs Island?

10. jturbo86

jturbo86 Junior Member

Port Jeff, But im no stranger to traveling for work. I mainly work in queens and long island city for my regular job.

11. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Ok - no worried - you need 10 posts I was told and be a member for 10 days - shoot me a Private Message when you can...good luck.

12. jturbo86

jturbo86 Junior Member

Will do, thanks.

13. Bill Grey

Bill Grey Member

Attached Files:

14. AccuCon

AccuCon Senior Member
    from CT

From what I gather plow insurance if you are doing roads is a HUGE premium, since the exposure is pretty high.

I could be wrong but my insurance agent always asks if Im doing municipal roads because that's a whole other policy and more expensive...