1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing for a Church for free; anyone?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JayD2, Jan 26, 2011.

1. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

Does anyone in here plow for their/or a church and does not charge for it?

If you do, can / or do you use it as a tax write off?

If so, how?
  2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I had a friend who plowed his church for a few seasons, not as a tax write off but I think as Pennants. Worked well until one morning a elderly parishioner slid into his truck and he ended up paying for the damage. Cured him of "free" mentality.
  3. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I do my church for free, only takes 2 hours of my time, I invoice them for it and tell them to not pay me, then I write it off as a bad debt.
  4. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

Why not just tithe it back instead of bad debt. Bad debt just sounds bad. Remember a church still has to file as a non-profit, so bills are not necessarily bad for them.
  5. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

I plow my church and write it off. I just submit my bill for it, and they give me a donation form back for the amount of the invoice.
  6. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Nothing in life is free.

What you meant to ask is:

Should i pay the expenses of plowing the churches lot?

gas, insurance, wear and tear, etc. It all adds up and costs somebody.

On a side note, my grandmother (who's like 95) called me the other day to tell me that she was out of cigarettes and she prayed for cigarettes that night. When she woke up the next day she found 3 or 4 packs. God had blessed her with cigarettes.

Maybe God will bring you cigarettes too :\
  7. k5PlowGuy

k5PlowGuy Member

You are not supposed to claim services provided as a donation deduction. You are only supposed to claim the property you yourself used providing that service for charity, such as salt, sand, etc.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  8. snocrete

snocrete Banned

:confused: Not sure I understand what your grandma praying for cigs has to do with the OP's questions?

As for the OP, unless your talking large sums of money....I would assume the amount of money involved with plowing your church is small potatoes in the big scheme of things(correct me if I'm wrong).?.?....With that said, if your donating your services, just do it and who cares about writing it off. More of an act of selflessness imo. Good luck.

and as someone else mentioned, those expenses get absorb through your biz anyway.
  9. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

If you feel like you should do it for free, then do it.
    if you fell like you much charge them, then charge them.

talk to your tax man to see if you can write it off or not..
  10. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

exactly, as a cash basis tax filing, you cant donate "services" as there was no exchange of money.

for our church, we get paid but then it gets donated back as tithing. same with lawn care services.
  11. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

Well, more than anything, I do the mowing all year and yes, I do it for them because I have the equipment and a business but it saves them money. I just do a little of the snow, we don't get much. Its not that I would not do it if I cant claim it, I have been doing it for four years now. It's not like I'm trying to hurt the church, its just that if the IRS allows me to claim it, then I would like to take them up on it.....I don't think that makes me as you put it "selflessness". I give plenty of money and time to the church.

The point is.......If I can claim it as a donation or what ever and have the IRS blessing, then why not...

That's what my question was really for anyway.
  12. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

yeah, whats wrong with doing this? I think It sounds fair, but I want to know if the IRS does..
  13. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

below lowballing....
  14. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Not sure if you read my post right...I didnt mean to question your intent. Good luck with whatever you do.
  15. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

I'm sorry, maybe I did take it wrong, my bad.

All is good....
  16. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

we don't charge our own church, just expense IRS wise the fuel, parts, cutting edges, etc....we do 2 other churches...one month a year, we take the other 2 churches, submit invoice with a note saying, that let's say bill is $1000...if the congregation matches the $1000 in a special offering for the youth programs, and the church gives the youth program the $1000 they were invoiced from us...the youth get $2k, and we mark the invoice paid... here's a bulletin one of the churches sent us several yrs. back. i'm a firm believer in youth church programs.

on edit...by the way...this has picked us up a LOT of business...both in snow, but mainly in our excavating business.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  17. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

Aw, that's really cool...Thumbs Up
  18. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

No way in "hell" I'm doing a church for free.
  19. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

That's it.....no reason...
  20. qualitylawn

qualitylawn Senior Member

FREE is not in my vocabulary!